2014 Holiday ScheduleMay 7, 2013 |
The State Personnel Act provides all State employees a holiday schedule that cannot exceed 11 paid holidays per year, except in those years in which Christmas Day falls on a Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday – when the schedule allows 12 paid holidays. For 2014, Christmas Day falls on a Thursday; therefore, we have three paid holidays at Christmas (a total of 12 for the year).
UNC System institutions are also allowed to adjust the dates of the annual holidays to accommodate the academic schedule. Traditionally, UNC-Chapel Hill has moved only the State’s Veterans Day holiday into the winter break period (between Christmas holiday and the New Year’s (Eve) holiday period). For next year, 2014, the University will observe Wednesday, Dec. 31, as a holiday in lieu of Veterans Day.
It is noted that some departments have essential work that must be done on designated holidays. SPA employees who work on holidays are paid holiday premium pay, in addition to hour for hour compensatory time up to 8 hours.
The 2014 holiday schedule is as follows:
- New Year’s Day — Wednesday, Jan. 1, 2014
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day — Monday, Jan. 20, 2014
- Spring Holiday — Friday, Apr. 18, 2014
- Memorial Day — Monday, May 26, 2014
- Independence Day — Friday, July 4, 2014
- Labor Day — Monday, Sept. 1, 2014
- Thanksgiving — Thursday, Nov. 27, and Friday, Nov. 28, 2014
- Winter Break — Wednesday, Dec. 24, Thursday, Dec. 25 and Friday, Dec. 26, 2014
- New Year’s Eve — Wednesday, Dec. 31, 2014
If you have questions, please contact your Benefits Consultant. You can search for your department’s assigned Benefit Specialist using HR Connect (http://hrconnect.unc.edu/); select the topic, “Benefits Questions.”