Enrollment Open for TRICARE Supplement PlanMay 21, 2015 |
The University of North Carolina is offering eligible retired military personnel the opportunity to elect supplemental medical coverage under a TRICARE Supplement Plan through NCFlex. Enrollment for the Plan will open on June 1, 2015. If you do not enroll during June, you will have to wait until:
- The UNC annual enrollment period in October, or
- You experience a life event
Eligible employees for the TRICARE Supplement Plan include:
- Retired military under the age of 65, not enrolled in Medicare
- Retired reserve members between the ages of 60 and 65
- Retired reserve members under age 60 and enrolled in TRICARE Retired Reserve (TRR) (“Gray Area” retirees)
- Spouses/surviving spouses of the above
- TRICARE-eligible members age 65 or older who reside overseas (must be enrolled in Medicare)
- Retired military personnel, spouse/surviving spouse age 65 or older and ineligible for Medicare (must have Statement or Disallowance from Social Security Administration)
- TRICARE Reserve Select (TRS) members and their eligible dependents
TRICARE is the health benefit program for the military community. The TRICARE Supplement Plan is a voluntary supplemental health benefit program that pays secondary benefits after TRICARE pays. Between TRICARE Standard/Extra and the TRICARE Supplement Plan, you will receive virtually 100 percent reimbursement for covered services.
Features of the plan include:
- No pre-existing condition limitation
- Flexibility and freedom to choose your own TRICARE-authorized civilian providers
- No referral or authorization required
- Portability, if employment ends for any reason
- Works with all three TRICARE options (Standard, Extra and Prime)
If you enroll for coverage, you pay the full cost of coverage through payroll deductions on a pre-tax basis.
What You Need To Do To Enroll
The online benefits enrollment system is undergoing changes and is currently not available to employees. Follow these steps to enroll in the NCFlex TRICARE Supplement Plan:
- Email email@example.com no later than May 31, 2015, to tell us that you are interested in enrolling for coverage under TRICARE.
- We will create a life event in the online enrollment system for you and you will have until June 30 to enroll and elect coverage.
- You can then log onto the enrollment platform at http://connectcarolina.unc.edu (on June 1 or later) to complete the enrollment process and to elect coverage under TRICARE. Your coverage will be effective as of June 1, 2015, as long as you complete your enrollment by June 30.
If you have questions, please contact the Benefits unit in the Office of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or 919-962-3071.