The tobacco cessation component of the State Health Plan’s Comprehensive Wellness Initiative (CWI) was developed to help members succeed in quitting tobacco use and to lower the costs associated with the treatment of health conditions caused or complicated by tobacco. Here are some resources to help you stop smoking:
UNC Nicotine Dependence Program
The UNC Nicotine Dependence Program is located at the UNC Family Medicine Center, 590 Manning Drive. Trained tobacco specialists work with you to assess your current tobacco use and readiness to quite, plan for dealing with withdrawal and follow-up to provide on-going support. The program features:
- Individual appointments with group or individual follow up
- Office visit co-pay applies to first visit with all follow up at no charge
- Call 919-966-0210 to schedule an appointment
State Health Plan
The Plan makes the following smoking cessation benefits available to members:
- NC Tobacco Use Quitline – Quitline NC offers tobacco cessation coaching and free over-the-counter Generic Nicotine Replacement Therapy patches to members, subject to specific limitations. Quitline NC is available 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 a.m., 7 days a week, in English and Spanish. Call 1-800-QUIT-NOW (1-800-784-8669) for assistance.
- Tobacco Cessation Counseling – counseling by a physician, nurse practitioner, physician assistant or behavioral health provider.
- Prescription Medications– the following prescription medication are available under the State Health Plan:
- Nicotine Replacement Therapy Patches: $10 generic copay; $5 over-the-counter generic copay.
- Buproprion (generic for Zyban): $10 generic copay
- Nicotine Nasal Spray, Nicotine Inhaler, Varenicline (Chantix): $35 copay.