The Office of Human Resources (OHR) posts all active SPA position openings with the State’s minimum requirements and, as appropriate, any additional position requirements listed by the hiring department. OHR also publishes a job listing of open SPA positions under active recruitment. The Staff Openings List serves as a recruitment tool and satisfies State and Federal recruitment requirements. It is published every Wednesday, and is posted at the Office of Human Resources, Administrative Office Building, 104 Airport Drive, Chapel Hill, NC. The Staff Openings List is also updated nightly on the OHR website. The University’s Equal Opportunity and Compliance (EOC) Office posts all faculty and EPA non-faculty openings with position details on-line after a Recruitment Requisition is routed and approved by the EOC Office through ConnectCarolina.
Within OHR, Employment & Staffing is responsible for external placement of all SPA permanent, EPA-NF, faculty and SPA/EPA temporary recruitment advertisements on behalf of UNC-Chapel Hill, including recruitment advertisements from all schools and departments within the University. Advertisement in any medium must be approved in advance by OHR/Employment & Staffing.
Upon request from schools or departments, Employment & Staffing also places external recruitment advertisements for faculty and EPA non-faculty employment opportunities that have been approved by the University’s EOC Office. When advertisements for faculty and EPA non-faculty are to be placed in advertising venues other than the University’s own website, the proposed advertisements must be attached to a copy of the EPA Web Recruitment Requisition that has been approved by the EOC Office. Common advertising options for faculty and EPA non-faculty positions include national or regional professional journals and newspapers, letters/announcements to schools, The Chronicle of Higher Education, and Diverse Issues in Higher Education. In addition, the EOC Office has purchased a membership subscription to the National Minority Faculty ID Program. Publication dates for national and professional journals will need to be considered to ensure the application deadline is 30 to 45 days after the print advertisement appears; Employment & Staffing will confirm those deadlines for the requesting school/department. For positions that are “open until filled,” this is not an issue.
Careers at Carolina: All permanent positions are posted on the University’s website. Both internal and external applicants apply through the online application system.
External Advertising: To enhance and diversify the applicant pool it may be necessary to advertise beyond the University website. Advertising options include print ads, Internet postings, professional listservs, professional journals, and non-profit organizations. All advertising costs are the responsibility of the hiring department.
Diversity: The University recognizes the value of a diverse workforce. The University encourages placement of recruitment advertising in publications with a focus on diversity. OHR provides local organizations with university job information and networks with various on-campus organizations and off-campus community groups and civic organizations to promote diversity in University employment.
Instructions for Placing an External Ad
The following instructions were developed to assist departments with submission of recruitment advertisements and ensure compliance with State requirements and University standards.
The submission deadline is noon on Wednesday for an ad to appear in the upcoming weekend edition of a newspaper. Deadlines for other publications and media outlets may vary.
1. Department contact completes Step 1 of the Recruitment Advertising Request Form (see link at right). Incomplete forms will result in advertising delays.
2. Department contact submits the completed form to the Employment Consultant assigned to your department.
3. The Employment Consultant assigned to your department reviews the ad copy, recommends revisions if necessary and requests a rate quote from the media outlet(s).
4. The Employment Consultant provides the department contact with the rate quote for each ad type/media outlet, ad proof (if available), and publication date/deadline. The Employment Consultant returns the request form to the Department Contact for review and signature approval.
5. The department contact accepts or rejects each ad type/media outlet in Section 2, signs, dates and PDFs the completed form to the Employment Consultant.
6. Using the hiring department’s P-Card information, the Employment Consultant places the approved ad(s) with the media outlet(s). If no P-Card is available, the department may use a six-digit departmental account number.
Pricing for External Ads
Employment & Staffing has negotiated contracts with top media outlets that give the University access to deeply discounted recruitment advertisement rates. Currently, the University is a contract advertiser with CareerBuilder, Monster and the News & Observer (N&O). Any UNC-Chapel Hill hiring department can have access to these reduced rates by placing an ad through Employment & Staffing.
CareerBuilder: $225 per 30-day posting (includes comprehensive Diversity package). This provides a significant savings from the standard rate.
Monster: $100 per 30-day posting (includes Diversity Network package). This provides a significant savings from the standard rate.
News & Observer:
• With our contract rate, the expense for enhanced line ads, bordered ads, or display ads is significantly less than the standard N&O pricing. The Employment Consultant will assist you by recommending effective advertising content and obtaining quotes on a case-by-case basis.
• Price quotes will include several options, including the Sunday print edition of the News & Observer, online posting for 30 days, an N&O TopJobs feature and a video feature for one day. The TopJobs feature places your advertisement in a premier location on newsobserver.com. With this feature, individuals will see your ad in a rotating format within the margins of the editorials.
Craigslist: There is no cost to place web-only recruitment ads.
Other Publications/Media: Pricing is based on current market rates and varies by media outlet.
The following types of advertisements are available (see link below for sample advertisements):
Display Ad (ad sizes vary from 1/8 page to full-page, black-and-white or color)
If you have questions or need assistance requesting a recruitment advertisement, contact the Employment Consultant assigned to your department.
For detailed information on equal opportunity and affirmative action, visit the EOC Office website at http://eoc.unc.edu/.