Text Size:
Decrease font size
Increase font size

SHRA Grievance Policy & Resources

The University System SHRA Employee Grievance Policy was revised May 1, 2017.

Guidelines for Grievances

The purpose of this document is to assist employees in providing sufficient information in their grievance filings. Information is provided for addressing each category of grievable issue. Go to Guide.

Roles, Responsibilities & Rights of Participants

Grievance Forms

Related Programs

EHRA Non-Faculty Grievance Policy

The University allows EHRA non-faculty permanent employees to grieve lack of cause for dismissal, violation of first amendment rights, violation of policy that has affected the employee’s employment status, lack of notice for end of appointment, and prohibited harassment and discrimination. Go to Policy.

  • Complainants have 30 calendar days from the aggrieved incident to file the complaint.
  • Step 1 in the process is a review and written response from the employee’s work unit (generally, 2nd or 3rd level supervisor of employee).
  • If the Complainant appeals the response, Step 2 of the process is a hearing to a panel of three volunteer EPA non-faculty employees.
  • The panel writes a report and recommendation to the Chancellor, who makes the final decision for the University.
  • Appeals of the Chancellor’s decision are sent to the Board of Trustees for review and decision. No additional appeal materials or presentation from the grievant or management is made to the BOT; the Board bases its decision on the materials already provided during the process.

Complainants are allowed to have a support person (a fellow University employee) to assist them. The grievant cannot be represented by an attorney during the internal process with the exception of cases of discharge for cause, in which the grievant can retain and be represented by counsel at their own expense. In such cases, University Counsel will represent management.

Administrative Review for Harassment/Discrimination Complaints

Any employee or student who believes that s/he has experienced prohibited harassment or discrimination at the University may file an administrative complaint with the Equal Opportunity & Compliance (EOC) Office on campus. The EOC staff will work with the employee’s management to investigate the complaint and issue a formal report. Go to Policy.