Notary Public Certification
Wednesday, September 27, 2017 @ 8:15 am - 4:30 pm
Course Number: BE5000
This course prepares participants to be commissioned in the state of North Carolina as a Notary Public, and it includes specific instruction as to: requirements and qualifications for this office; General powers and limitations of the office; oaths and affirmations; depositions and affidavits; taking acknowledgements; and performing verifications and proofs.
This class is sponsored and funded by the UNC Employee Forum.
Qualifications for becoming a notary include:
1. Be a high school graduate or equivalent
2. Complete all seven hours of this course and pass the exam
3. Reside legally in the U.S.
4. Speak, read and write in English.
NOTE: All class participants are required to present a state or federal ID document with photo upon arriving at class. This can include a driver’s license, state ID with picture, or United States Passport. The ID must be current and must have a signature.
Steps to Become A Notary Public:
1. Take class and pass the test
2. Notary Instructor sign Initial Application
3. Applicant complete and sign in the Presence of Notary Public
4. Submit application with $50 to Secretary of State’s Office
5. Take Oath Notification Letter as a Notary Public to your Register of Deed’s Office (county where you live)
6. Be sworn in and pay $10 fee to Register of Deeds
7. Order stamp or seal and verify name when received
All UNC-Chapel Hill faculty and staff are invited to register for and attend the various courses offered by the Office of Human Resources Organization and Professional Development team.
To register for courses:
- Visit: connectcarolina.unc.edu
- Log in: Your Onyen + Password
- Click: Self Service
- Click: Training Enrollment
- Search Courses