- This event has passed.
Options for Financing College
Monday, September 25, 2017 @ 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
Course Number: WL0012
The rising costs of college tuition have outpaced inflation by a significant margin. For the average family, funding a college education will be one of the significant challenges they will face during their lifetime.
Having a basic understanding of proper planning techniques, savings vehicles, financial aid as well as other funding methods will be critical in meeting this challenge without subjecting the family finances to unsustainable strain. This session will cover the most effective strategies for planning and funding the rising costs of a college education.
- Estimate college expenses based on time horizon, tuition inflation and choice of school
- Define the rules and benefits associated with college savings vehicles such as 529
- Plans, Coverdell accounts as well as EE Bonds
- Understand financial aid application and calculation basics (FAFSA)
- Learn to access other funding assistance through scholarships, grants and tax credits
- Recognize the pros and cons of taking on student loan debt
- Understand how to prioritize funding higher education in the context of long-term financial planning
All UNC-Chapel Hill faculty and staff are invited to register for and attend the various courses offered by the Office of Human Resources Organization and Professional Development team.
To register for courses:
- Visit: connectcarolina.unc.edu
- Log in: Your Onyen + Password
- Click: Self Service
- Click: Training Enrollment
- Search Courses