Mentoring services at UNC-Chapel Hill was designed to provide support mechanisms to ensure individual and departmental mentoring success. The service will also create readiness for mentoring within the entire institution, which will:
- Support the goals of developing a vital and effective workforce
- Accomplish individual and University goals
What is Mentoring?
Benefits of Mentoring in a University Setting
- Increased competency levels in accomplishing crucial work for departments and the University.
- Personal and direct contributions to the career development of talented employees.
- Accelerated leadership development to sharpen coaching, management, and communication skills (both for the mentor and the mentee), vital skills for successful leadership practices.
- Increased organizational commitments and job satisfaction, demonstrated as renewed interest and vigor for work responsibilities which benefit the larger institution.
- Heightened individual and organizational learning.
- Stronger and more cohesive teams.
Creating a Mentoring Culture
- Establishes ownership throughout the organization by holding everyone accountable for organizational learning and success.
- Promotes shared responsibility.
- Maximizes resources.
- Facilitates use of expert knowledge and best practices.
- Supports integration of key processes into the organization.
- Fosters openness to learning.
Incorporating Mentoring Into Your Department
- The employee’s Professional Development Plan can include goals and skill sets to be addressed through mentoring.
- Mentoring can be used to bring new hires up to speed with departmental and University policies and procedures.
- Mentoring is a natural way to begin succession planning.
- Mentoring can be a cornerstone of individual career development planning.
How Organization & Professional Development Can Help
- Mentoring materials (see Related Subjects and Forms below).
- Information about mentoring to promote a mentoring culture and educated University professionals.
- Individual consultations to departments to develop and support mentoring efforts within the organization.
- Organizational development programs custom designed to meet your mentoring needs.