The following summarizes annual leave, sick leave, and holiday leave guidelines for EPA non-faculty employees. These guidelines are governed by the EPA Non-Faculty Employment Policies of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. To view the EPA Non-Faculty Employment Policies for Tier 1 Senior Officers, click here.
For information on payout or transfer of EPA non-faculty leave in the event of termination, change of position or transfer to/from another State agency or UNC campus, see EPA Non-Faculty Leave Transfer or Payout.
All permanent EPA non-faculty employees working half-time (20 hours per week) or greater are eligible to earn annual leave as noted below. Employees working less than half-time or those in temporary appointments regardless of work schedule are not eligible to earn leave.
- EPA non-faculty research, instructional, and Tier II senior academic and administrative officers (SAAOs) are entitled to 24 days of annual leave per calendar year. This leave accrual applies to the vast majority of EPA non-faculty employees.
- The Chancellor, Provost, Deans, and the Directors of major centers who are classified as EPA non-faculty Tier I academic and administrative officers (SAAOs) are entitled to 26 days of annual leave per calendar year.
- An employee who was in an EPA non-faculty position at UNC-Chapel Hill on July 1, 2001 shall earn the higher of 24 days or the amount of leave earnings for which they were eligible as of that date but in no case to exceed 26 days per year.
- The amount of annual leave is adjusted proportionately for part-time employees in covered positions who work half-time or more.
- Leave shall be earned on a monthly basis. The monthly earnings amount is equal to one-twelfth (1/12) of the annual leave accrual rate for each month the employee works or is on approved leave with pay at least half the working days of a month.
- The scheduling of an employee’s annual leave shall be subject to the approval of his or her supervisor.
- The maximum number of unused days of annual leave that may be accrued and carried forward from one year to the next shall be 30 work days, without any reduction of this cap due to periodic changes in an employee’s work schedule. Unused annual leave in excess of thirty (30) days shall be converted to sick leave on December 31st of each year.
EPA non-faculty employees are entitled to the same sick leave policies as an exempt employee covered under the State Personnel Act (SPA). Please refer to the Sick Leave Policy for SPA Employees and the associated Sick Leave Earnings Chart.
EPA non-faculty employees are entitled to the same paid holidays as provided to exempt employees subject to the State Personnel Act (SPA). Please refer to the University Holiday Schedule. Please note that certain clinical departments of the School of Medicine have a modified holiday schedule for their employees. Clinical departments will communicate any such modified holiday schedule directly to their employees.