Text Size:
Decrease font size
Increase font size

Salary Increase Guidelines

2016 SHRA Salary Increase

UNC-Chapel Hill’s Office of Human Resources has on-campus, pre-approval authority for all salary actions that fall within OSHR policy guidelines and do not exceed a cumulative raise of 20% from the employee’s base-salary rate on the previous June 30th, provided that we have delegated authority for the career-banded title.

Which Increases Require UNC General Administration Pre-Approval?

Any salary increase in any amount for a career-banded title for which we do not have delegated authority (or which results in an exemption to any standing OSHR policy) must go to UNC General Administration (GA) Human Resources for pre-approval. That office will consult directly with OSHR as needed to obtain any required pre-approvals.

For any permanent base-salary increase, GA pre-approval is required when the cumulative amount of all permanent increases for the fiscal year to date exceeds 20% of the most recent June 30th base salary. Current or prior temporary salary increases do not count toward this calculation.

For any temporary salary adjustments, GA pre-approval is required when the cumulative amount of all currently active temporary salary adjustments in the current fiscal year exceeds 20% of the most recent June 30th base salary. Any individual temporary adjustment that exceeds 12 months in duration also will require GA pre-approval, regardless of the amount of that adjustment. Permanent base-salary adjustments in the current fiscal year do not count toward these calculations.

How Long Does the Process Take?

All actions are effective on the Monday following the receipt of all required approvals. If final approvals occur on a Monday, the action can be effective that day.

What are the Qualifying Reasons for a Salary Increase?

Salary increases are only permitted for the following reasons:

  • Additional job duties, when there is a substantive increase in the scope and/or complexity of the job. This includes temporary adjustments with a defined start and stop date. Please note: Such an increase may not be justified solely on the basis of increased work volume.
  • Position reclassification, where application of the career banding pay factors will determine the base salary
  • Competitive-hiring events, where application of the career banding pay factors will determine the base salary
  • Equity, when employees in the same position/branch/role/competency are performing very similar work with a similar level of competence to those who have a higher pay rate and the pay discrepancy has no apparent justification
  • Labor Market, when an employee’s salary is less than the position’s assigned market rate. Managers may request a salary increase up to, but not exceeding, the assigned market rate.
  • Employee retention, when employees have a documented offer for a comparable position (i.e., not an obvious promotion) outside of state employment and have given that documentation to their managers and the employee has skills or knowledge that would be difficult to replace
  • Increase in SHRA employee competencies, when there is a documented change in component competency ratings or overall ratings between two Employee Competency Assessment (ECA) reviews
  • Change in FTE due to a schedule change, when there has been no change in annualized compensation.

Please note: Schools and divisions are advised to exercise discretion with regard to granting increases to SHRA temporary employees and to remain within the defined range for employees’ career-banded classifications.

How Do I Make a Request?

Salary-increase requests must be documented on the Non-Faculty Salary Adjustment/Supplement Form (AKA “Rainbow Form”). Completed forms should be sent to your assigned Employment Consultant for competitive-hire events and to your assigned Classification and Compensation Consultant for all other increase requests. Forms received by the close of business on Friday will be reviewed the following week, using the process that applies to that specific increase, as noted above.

Where Can I Go for Help?

If you have questions about any salary increase guidelines, please contact your assigned Classification and Compensation Consultant or your assigned Employment Consultant.

Related Links