Yes. Most temporary SPA and temporary EPA Non-Faculty positions will need to be posted publicly before they can be filled. However, there are exclusions and permissible reasons to request a waiver of posting.
NOTE: Temporary Faculty positions postings have been delayed until further notice. Post Doc position postings will be delayed up to six months following the January 17, 2012 launch of PeopleAdmin.
UNC-Chapel Hill is required to comply with the Jobs for Veterans Act regulations. The goal of the Act is to make it easier for veterans to find jobs when they leave military service – a goal the University fully supports. This amendment to the Vietnam Era Veterans’ Readjustment Assistance Act requires government contractors to list job openings using an appropriate public posting method.
Yes. The following positions are exempt from the posting requirement:
- UNC-Chapel Hill student employee positions including undergraduate and graduate students, Resident Assistants, Teaching Assistants and Work Study Students.
- Positions with zero-based salary and zero-based FTE.
- Positions/vacancies filled by UTS or an outside staffing agency.
Departments seeking to hire current UNC-Chapel Hill students are excluded from the posting requirement. However, departments open to hiring non-UNC-Chapel Hill students will need to post the position or request a waiver, if appropriate.
No, utilizing UTS fulfills the posting requirement.
Departments may access PeopleAdmin via HR Central.
The minimum posting period for an EPA or SPA temporary position is three (3) calendar days.
Yes, postings for temporary positions can close on a weekend.
Yes. Permissible reasons have been developed to request a waiver of the three calendar day posting period. The list of permissible reasons includes the following:
- Director level positions that supervise one or more staff, with department or University-wide policy making/decision authority
- Retirees returning to the same department
- Retirees returning to a comparable position within the University
- Temporary employees returning to the same department within 60 days of completion of their 31-day break
- Temporary employees performing additional duties within the same department
- Seasonal temporary employees who return each year
- UNC-Chapel Hill employees being placed in a temporary position following layoff/discontinuation
- Student employees who continue to work in the same department after graduation
- Prevention/avoidance of critical work stoppage
- Unusual and exceptional circumstances where an individual selected possesses specific and unique skills
- Position assignments lasting three days or less
- Temporary hire commitments made prior to go-live (90-day grace period)
A waiver may be requested as part of the posting process in PeopleAdmin.
10) What is the turnaround time between a department submitting a posting and the Office of Human Resources (OHR) or Equal Opportunity Office (EO) receiving the posting?
Submitted postings will be available to OHR and EO immediately.
OHR and EO will make every effort to approve postings as quickly as possible. Postings will be approved by OHR (Temp-SPA) or EO (Temp-EPA) within two business days. Approved posting will appear on the job board within moments of OHR and EO approval.
The posting period will begin as soon as the Office of Human Resources (for Temp-SPA) and the Equal Opportunity Office (for Temp-EPA) approve the posting.
Yes, positions will automatically be removed from the job site at 11:59pm EST on the closing date.
Yes. In order to set an advanced posting date, Departments will set the Posting Open Date to the day they need the posting to appear on the job site. The posting will appear on the PeopleAdmin job board at midnight on the posting open date.
There is no maximum number of days a position can be posted.
EPAWeb position information for Temporary EPA Non-Faculty positions will be sent to PeopleAdmin twice daily; once at 6am and again at noon. As such, there may be some lag time between position data approvals in EPAWeb and the information updating in PeopleAdmin. Approved position information updates in EPAWeb will be available in PeopleAdmin within one business day. If there is an immediate need for position data to be updated in PeopleAdmin, contact the Equal Opportunity Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or (919) 966-3576.
No. However a Vacancy ID will be generated for every posting. This is a unique number associated with the particular posting and is similar to the Recruitment ID. A position number will continue to be assigned when an individual is hired in HRIS.
No. Departments do not need OHR or EO approval before extending an offer of temporary employment. Departments are responsible for documenting and approving their offers of temporary employment via the Selection and Hiring Proposal process in PeopleAdmin.
Yes, you will. The new system will not replace EPAWeb. EPAWeb will continue to be used for EPA personnel and position management actions.
Yes, you will. The new system will not replace HRIS. HRIS will continue to be used to hire SPA temporary personnel.
Individuals who will initiate or originate actions in PeopleAdmin will only need to sign up for one training class in order to be granted access.
Training is mandatory for individuals who will initiate and originate temporary postings in PeopleAdmin. Access to PeopleAdmin will not be granted until training has been completed.
Yes, similar to our current recruitment systems, departments can assign multiple users to the same role in the PeopleAdmin system.
Background Checks are necessary for new temporary employees or temporary employees who are returning after a break in service. If a department hires a temporary employee who has not had a break in service or is a UNC Chapel Hill student, then a background check is not necessary.