UNC-Chapel Hill recently received guidance from the Office of State Human Resources (OSHR) on implementation of the Special Annual Leave Bonus provided by the General Assembly in the Appropriations Act of 2018. The legislature has granted a one-time award of five days of special bonus leave to SHRA and EHRA permanent and part-time employees who are in active pay status and eligible to earn leave effective July 1, 2018. This newly awarded leave is now available for use in TIM and can be tracked as “Bonus 2018 No Payout.” To use the leave, select the “Bonus 2018 Taken” code.
In short, for newer employees, this leave provides the opportunity for extra time off in addition to your vacation leave. For longer-service employees, these days provide an extra layer of security if your leave balances are reduced for any reason.
- Permanent full-time or part-time (pro-rated basis) employees.
- Employees in an active pay status as of July 1, 2018.
- The 2018 bonus leave is available for immediate use to employees on workers’ compensation leave or military leave for reserve active duty, effective July 1, 2018.
- The 2018 bonus leave will be available to other employees in a leave without pay status upon return to work.
Bonus Leave Conditions
The 2018 bonus leave will remain available during the length of employment, will not expire, has no cash value, cannot be donated as Voluntary Shared Leave, and cannot be paid out at the end of employment or applied to Total State Service.
How the Special Annual Bonus Leave Impacts Sick Leave Accrual
Annually, vacation leave amounts of more than 30 days (240 hours) are transferred to sick leave accrual on December 31. Each hour of the 2018 bonus leave used during a calendar year will be deducted from the amount of vacation leave transferred to sick leave accrual.
Example: An employee has 300 hours of vacation leave at the end of the calendar year.
- Under normal circumstances 60 hours of vacation leave would roll over to sick leave and the employee would carry over a balance of 240 vacation hours into the new year.
- Under the 2018 bonus leave, if that employee chose to use all 40 hours of 2018 bonus leave during the year, then the 40 hours of bonus leave used would be deducted from the 60 hours in excess of 240. Therefore, the employee would roll over 20 hours of vacation leave to sick leave at the end of the calendar year but would still carry a 240-hour balance of vacation leave into the new year. Unused 2018 bonus leave also carries into the new year.
- As a reminder, TSERS members can use sick leave toward creditable retirement service.
For questions about the Special Annual Leave Bonus in TIM, please contact your manager or your department’s TIM administrator. For policy-related questions, please contact your department’s designated HR representative or assigned leave consultant in the Office of Human Resources. The leave provisions and a frequently asked questions document are also available on the OSHR website.
Note: We will update you on the legislative salary increase program once more information becomes available from the UNC System Office about awarding and implementing salary increases.