Your tax year 2018 Form W-2 is now available in the ConnectCarolina Self Service menu. Remember that 2-Step Verification is required to access your Form W-2. Instructions for 2-Step Verification are below.
Since calendar year 2015, the University has offered online W-2 distribution as a convenience to you in addition to the paper Form W-2s we produce and distribute each January. Since then, employees had the option of accessing and printing an electronic W-2 form but could not avoid receiving a paper version.
Now, employees can choose to opt out of receiving paper W-2 forms as part of an effort to provide a more secure and sustainable distribution process. To do so, employees must opt out through ConnectCarolina Self Service.
To opt-out of receiving a paper W-2, in addition to the online W-2 form:
- Log in to connectcarolina.unc.edu
- Click on SelfService
- Choose “W-2/W-2c Consent”
- Click the consent box and Submit
If at any time, you wish to revoke your consent to receive your W-2 only electronically, follow the same steps. These steps are available in a printable quick reference card, How to Opt Out of Receiving Paper W-2s.
Employees must opt out by 5 p.m. on January 18, 2019, to not receive a paper W-2 for tax year 2018.
Employees who have not opted out of paper 2018 W-2s by January 18 at 5 p.m. will receive a printed W-2 for tax year 2018.
The online self-service option offers the following benefits:
- Active employees can access and print their W-2s for tax year 2014 and beyond any time — 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The functionality can be especially useful for employees who need to access their W-2 information in a timely manner when applying for personal loans and other banking needs.
- The W-2 available electronically is as official as the paper version issued by Payroll Services.
Former employees will continue to receive paper W-2s via U.S. Mail and also have the option of accessing W-2s via a guest account in ConnectCarolina. Instructions can be found at help.unc.edu/help/onyens-guest-ids/.
Printing the self-service W-2
When printing self-service W-2, the recommended browsers are listed here: https://ccinfo.unc.edu/resources/system-status-2/. However some users are experiencing issues when trying to print the self-service W-2 directly from Firefox. When using Firefox, either download to PDF first and then print or use one of the other browsers from the recommended link above.
To register for 2-Step and access your W-2 online:
Visit onyen.unc.edu and click “Register & Manage 2-Step Verification.” The registration process for 2-Step takes just 10 minutes. Have your PID available and your mobile device or landline phone with you. Follow the steps to select and confirm your preferred 2-Step method (a text message, landline phone call or a “push” notification). Then visit ConnectCarolina to access your online W-2 via the Self Service menu.
Already registered for 2-Step? Have a new device?
If you already are registered for 2-Step, ConnectCarolina will prompt you for your 2-Step authentication code. If you have a new device and are registered for 2-Step but need a refresher on how to activate a new device, click the “New Devices” tab on this help document: help.unc.edu/help/duo/ for step-by-step instructions.
Questions or problems?
- Help Documentation related to 2-Step, including step-by-step instructions, is available by visiting:help.unc.edu/help/duo/.
- Step-by-step instructions and user tips related to viewing and printing W-2 forms can be found on the Online Employee Tax Forms web page (go.unc.edu/payrolltaxforms).
- If you have questions concerning your W-2 form, please visit our W-2 frequently-asked questions webpage, finance.unc.edu/departments/strategic-sourcing-payment/payroll/w-2/.
- If you have technical problems viewing or printing your W-2, contact the Help Desk at 962-HELP.