On Wednesday, March 13, over 700 UNC-Chapel Hill faculty and staff gathered in Fetzer Hall to focus on their wellbeing – from head, to heart, to heels. The 2019 Total WellBeing Expo, hosted by the division of Workforce Strategy, Equity and Engagement, brought together nearly 100 UNC and community resources to help employees stay healthy, happy and safe.
The Exhibit hall was full from the start. In the hall, attendees had the opportunity to taste fresh fruit from The Produce Box, visit the UNC Police crisis response dog, Franklin, get their blood pressure checked, receive a massage from the UNC Wellness Center, relax with an ear massage by Vital Living, and learn about the many new discounts available through the new Perks program.
Outside of the exhibit hall, the Healthy Hallway offered chair massages, a variety of mini-mindfulness sessions and cooking demonstrations. Carolina Dining Services served up delicious salmon couscous salad to over 100 employees. [View Recipe: Salmon Couscous Salad]
Over 50 employees took part in fitness demos which included Yoga, Zumba and Tai Chi provided by UNC Campus Recreation and boxing by Title Boxing Club.
Another important feature of the Expo was holistic wellness check, sponsored by the NC State Health Plan. Over 75 faculty and staff received a free health check. In just 15 minutes, employees left with information regarding their biometric numbers, which included cholesterol, blood glucose/A1c, blood pressure, body mass index, waist circumference, and a better understanding of their health risks.
Nearly eighty percent of chronic conditions can be prevented, delayed, or alleviated with lifestyle changes, knowing your numbers can often be the first step to taking action.
Action pays off. For each healthy activity that participants took part in, they received a drawing prize. At the end of the Expo, 15 winners received prizes.
Congratulations to the winners of the 2019 Total WellBeing drawing prizes:
- Linda Parson, School of Medicine—Apple Airpods
- John Foust, Finance & Operation—Fitbit Charge 3
- Jayne Boyer, School of Public Health—Southern Season Gift Basket
- Trey Fraune, VC Research —60-Minute Massage
- Dale Krams, School of Medicine —60-Minute Reflexology Session
- Lisa Geeslin, Finance and Operations—2 Tickets to Carowinds
- Chaitra Powell, University Libraries —2 Tickets to Carowinds
- Kadejah Murray, Office of the Chancellor —Complete Heart & Vascular Screening
- Krista Gates, School of Medicine —$25 Starbucks Gift Card & BB&T Goodie Bag
- Veronica McClain, School of Dentistry —Botanically Rooted Aromatic Gift Set
- Rachel Wilfert, School of Public Health —NC Flex Bag, Pedometer and Kettlebell
- Tina Lathia, School of Public Health —Total WellBeing T-Shirt
- Patty Frey, School of Law—Total WellBeing T-Shirt
- Rhonda Pace, School of Medicine —Wells Fargo Umbrella
- John Ward, Arts & Sciences —$25 Walmart Gift Card
We look forward to seeing everyone next year!