2020 Engagement Survey & Results
UNC System Engagement Survey
Between Feb. 4 and Feb. 25, 2020, all permanent, full-time employees at UNC-Chapel Hill were invited to participate in the UNC System Employee Engagement Survey. The survey was distributed by email on Feb. 4, followed by five reminder emails. The University publicized the survey through campus publications, emails from campus leaders, social media, and through employee organizations. To maximize accessibility, the Office of Human Resources held labs for first, second, and third shift employees that provided technical support for those who wished to take the survey online, and paper copies translated into Burmese, Karen and Spanish.
The survey comprised of 61 belief statements that focused on employee engagement, two open ended questions addressing job satisfaction, and 17 questions dedicated to benefits satisfaction. The 61 belief statements were aligned with, and categorized into,15 core dimensions. The 2020 survey was identical to the 2018 survey except one question about diversity and inclusion was added to the 2020 survey that was not included in 2018.
Among eligible employees at UNC-Chapel Hill, 5,025 opted to participate (38%). SAAO Tier 1 and SAAO Tier 2 employees had the highest response rates, at 61% and 52%, respectively, and the remaining EHRA-NF employees had a 39% response rate. Faculty had the lowest response rate among UNC-CH employees, at 31%. SHRA exempt employees achieved a 45% response rate, while 39% of SHRA non-exempt employees participated.
- Full list of 2020 survey questions
- ModernThink guidance on survey response scores
- Overall benchmark ScoreCard for 2020: This report displays the 61 belief statements by core dimension, with UNC-Chapel Hill positive and negative responses, compared to our 2018 responses and six benchmark groups selected by the UNC System Office. These benchmarks include ModernThink’s Great Colleges to Work For Honor Roll, as well as universities that participated in the Great Colleges program from the following groups: Carnegie Research I institutions, public four-year universities, universities with an enrollment greater than 10,000, and Southeast Region universities. The final comparison is to the UNC System-wide aggregate score.
- 2020 Response Distribution Report: This report lists responses by employee type for each of the 61 belief statements.
- 2020 Benefit Satisfaction Report: This report includes responses by employee type for each of the 17 benefits questions.