The 403b Universal Availability Notice applies to all employees who are FICA-eligible. For more information about benefits eligibility,
please visit hr.unc.edu/benefits/eligibility.
Dear Faculty and Staff,
With the new year upon us, it’s important to review some timely benefits news and information.
Health Plan ID Cards
You should have received a new State Health Plan ID card prior to Jan. 1, 2022, even if no changes were made during Open Enrollment. Use your NEW ID card as your 2021 ID card will no longer work. Your member IDs have changed for 2022. For your security, please remember to destroy your 2021 ID card. If you have not received your 2022 State Health Plan ID cards, contact the State Enrollment Center at 855-859-0966.
Any benefit elections you made during Open Enrollment for NCFlex and the University benefit programs went into effect Jan. 1, 2022. Remember to review your paycheck (Jan. 14 and Jan. 28 for biweekly paid employees and Jan. 31 for monthly paid employees) to ensure that the benefits you elected are reflected with the corresponding deductions. Reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org if you see any discrepancies.
Updated 403B Universal Availability Notice for 2022
This notice is required to be sent out to all eligible staff and faculty regarding your ability to participate in this 403b voluntary retirement savings plan. If you’d like to enroll in this plan or change your current 403b deduction, you can do so by:
- Logging in to ConnectCarolina – Self Service
- Clicking on the My Benefits tile
- Selecting Benefits Enrollment on left
- Selecting Supplemental Retirement Plans
UNC System Voluntary Term Life Insurance with Securian (formerly MetLife)
As of Jan. 1, 2022, Securian Financial has replaced MetLife as the provider for the UNC System Voluntary Term Life Insurance. This is not to be confused with the NCFlex voluntary group term life plan, which is a separate plan through the State. UNC Faculty Physicians are not eligible for this plan.
- There will be a one-time special open enrollment for the UNC System Voluntary Term Life Insurance Plan on Feb. 14 – March 4, 2022 for eligible employees who work 20 hours or more per week. Employees will be able to increase or enroll for the first time in this term life insurance with no evidence of insurability required—up to three times salary, not to exceed $500,000. Employees may also enroll a spouse—up to $50,000 in coverage with no evidence of insurability required. Children under age 26 may also be enrolled at $10,000 in coverage with no evidence of insurability required. Review the special enrollment flyer and rates.
- Starting Feb. 14, 2022, you can log in to ConnectCarolina Self Service if you wish to enroll or change your coverage amounts. Please note that if you attempt to enroll before Feb. 14 or after March 4, you will have to provide evidence of insurability to obtain coverage. To enroll or change coverage:
- Log in to ConnectCarolina
- Click on Self Service
- Click on My Benefits
- Click on Benefits Enrollment (on the left)
- Click on UNC Sys Life Insurance
At-Home COVID Tests Now Covered
Those enrolled in the State Health Plan will now be able to purchase up to eight at-home rapid COVID tests every 30 days covered at 100% by the State Health Plan. You may purchase these at a local pharmacy using your Health ID card at no cost OR you can purchase these online or in a store and submit a detailed receipt with a Prescription Reimbursement Claim Form for reimbursement (if purchased on or after Jan. 15, 2022).
COVID-19-Related School Service
Through Feb. 15, 2022, eligible employees may use Community Service Leave – Option A (up to 24 hours) for service as a substitute teacher or in another role in a school or school district, such as a substitute school bus driver or cafeteria worker, that meets the duties of staff who are temporarily not available. View details on the COVID-19-Related School Service Form on the COVID-19 Leave Information webpage.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the UNC-CH Benefits Support Center at 919-962-3071.
Benefits and Leave Administration Team
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill