To: University Business Managers; Campus Unit Finance Leads; HR Officers and Secondary Contacts
From: Walter Miller, Director of Payroll Services
Re: Advance notice: W-4 tax form changes coming in 2020
Effective Jan. 1, 2020, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) will update the Federal Form W-4 Employee Withholding Allowance Certificate. To comply with the form redesign, the University will need to update the current W-4 format in ConnectCarolina Self Service. While updating ConnectCarolina Self Service to the new W-4 format, neither W-4 nor NC-4 tax forms will be available in Self Service.
We are working closely with our partners in ITS to ensure the update is timely with minimal disruption to employees. We anticipate that the new form will be live in ConnectCarolina Self Service prior to the mid-February 2020 time frame and we will update quick reference guides accordingly. Other Self Service functionality will remain available during this time.
Here’s what employees can expect:
- Action is not required by existing University employees unless changes to W-4 or NC-4 tax forms are needed.
- Effective January 1, 2020, any first-time submission or employee change to the W-4 or NC-4 will need to be submitted on a paper form until ConnectCarolina Self Service is updated to match the new federal W-4 form requirements. Please note that only the 2020 version of form W-4 will be accepted, and prior versions (2019 or before) cannot be accepted.
- For security purposes, please write the PID at the top of the form and leave the Social Security number blank. Forms without a Social Security number can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Forms may also be sent via campus or US mail to the Payroll Services department.
- Once the federal W-4 form changes are available in Self Service, employees will notice that the new NC-4 and W-4 forms will be separate forms in ConnectCarolina Self Service.
- There will be significant changes to the 2020 W-4 federal form.
- There will not be significant changes to the 2020 NC-4 state form.
We appreciate your help and patience in preparing for this change. Please expect a formal communication to all employees about this change in December. For any further information or questions, please contact email@example.com.