Skip to main content

An employee may request leave for certain educational courses. Leave with pay for short periods (one course) is available through the Educational Assistance Program. Departments may allow any employee (permanent, probationary, or trainee) extended leave to participate in job- or career-related study based on the following criteria:

  • verification that both labor market and organizational needs exist for development in the requested program,
  • equal opportunity is provided in candidate selection, and
  • employees are informed of procedures regarding educational leave.

Extended educational leave without pay is considered and approved according to the guidelines provided the Leave without Pay policy.

Requests for educational leave must be submitted in writing to the supervisor or other designated official in sufficient time to accommodate supervisory review and administrative processing for personnel, payroll, and benefits actions to take place.


If you have questions regarding the appropriate application of this policy, contact your school/division’s HR Office or contact the Benefits Consultant in the Office of Human Resources assigned to work with your department.

If you have questions about managing leave in the TIM system, visit the TIM Website, or contact your school/division’s HR Office or your department’s TIM Administrator.