Wellness Resources During COVID-19
If you, or someone you care about, are feeling overwhelmed with emotions like sadness, depression, or anxiety, or feel like you want to harm yourself or others, please reach out for help.
- If you are in an emergency situation, call 911
- GuidanceResources® Whether you’re looking for free counseling*, self-improvement tools or solutions to everyday issues call 877-314-5841 (TTY: 800-697-0353) or browse the many helpful tools online at guidanceresources.com
- Use Web ID: TARHEELS to sign up for GuidanceResources
- Not by a computer? Download the free GuidanceNowSM app to access these great resources from the palm your hand.
- GuidanceResources Flyer: Staying Ahead of Life’s Challenges, Even in Difficult Time
- * As a UNC employee, you can receive three free counseling sessions per issue, per year, in-person or over the phone.
- For anyone affected by abuse or needing support, visit the National Domestic Violence Hotline or call 800-799-SAFE(7233) (TTY: 800-787-3224) or send the text LOVEIS to an advocate at 22522.
Upcoming Wellness Wednesday webinars
- June 9 at noon – Healthy Eating = Healthy Immune System
- June 16 at 3 p.m. – Paying Off Debt While Building Wealth
- June 30 at 9 a.m. – Managing Staff through Stressful Situations
- How to Use Food to Balance Stress and Boost Immunity (79 minutes)
- How to Use Movement to Protect Your Neck and Back (65 minutes)
- Demo: Movements to Protect Your Neck and Back (11 minutes)
- Why Sleep? – The connection between sleep and memory, aging, safety and immunity (40 minutes)
- Sleep: An Essential Component of Health and Well-Being (54 minutes)
- Tools to Handle COVID-19 Related Stress (44 minutes)
- Managing Worry & Anxiety During COVID-19 (39 minutes)
- Coping with Uncertainty about the Coronavirus (44 minutes)
- For links to this session in other languages (Cantonese, Mandarin, Italian, Japanese and Korean), email email@example.com.
- Exercises You Can Do While Sitting at Your Desk (Tip sheet)
- Struggling with Anger (Tip sheet)
- Building Parenting Resilience (Tip sheet)
- How to Control Your Temper Around Your Children (Tip sheet)
- 8 Ways to Quiet Your Mind and Sleep Better Tonight (Tip sheet)
- CDC Coronavirus Disease 2019 Resources for Stress Management, Self-Care, Parents, People at Higher Risk, Responders and more.
- Five Tips to Help You Practice Self-Love
- How to Create Your Own Self-Care Plan
- Five Ways to Protect Your Mental Health with Mental Health First Aid
- Tips to Help Children and Youth Take Care of Their Mental Health During COVID-19
- How to Help Someone with Anxiety or Depression During COVID-19
- 4 Self-Care Tips for How to Deal with Anxiety
- How to Support a Loved One Going Through a Tough Time During COVID-19
Resources from UNC School of Medicines Well-Being Program
- Mental Health/Emotional Support Resources
- Mental Health and Well-Being Survival Guide for COVID-19 (36 minutes)
- Provides mental health and well-being advice for getting through the COVID-19 crisis, including ways to protect and mitigate negative effects; how to maximize constructive and minimize destructive coping; reviewing the ethical issues faced in this pandemic; specific tools that help improve well-being and more.
- Self-Care through Self-Massage (6–8 minutes)
- Three brief videos to help you learn massage to cope in crisis or any time. Videos feature instruction on how to massage your neck and shoulders, hands and arms, and feet and legs.
- Mindfulness Meditation Self-Compassion Sessions (30 minutes)
- Qi Gong for Beginners with UNC’s Dr. Kristen Polzien (30 minutes)
- Facing Pandemic Fears with an Awake Heart with Tara Brach (61 minutes)
- Mindfulness Exercises– 2,000+ free mindfulness exercises, including courses, audio, worksheets, quotes and more.
- The Frank Porter Graham Program on Mindfulness and Self-Compassion for Families offers a suite of self-compassion trainings for teens, pre-teens, children, parents, educators and adults who seek greater compassion for themselves and others.
Relax and rejuvenate with gentle yoga. A yoga mat and comfortable clothing are all that are required. Optional supplies include a firm blanket, yoga strap and open wall space or sturdy chair.
- Free On-Demand Fitness Classes Join Campus Recreation on-demand and stay active anytime and anywhere. Take a break and enjoy a quick 15-30 minute pre-recorded class now available on YouTube. Classes include:
- Core & Strength
- Cardio & HIIT
- Yoga & Restore
- Barre & Pilates
- Seated & Accessible Workouts
New classes are added weekly! Click here to access classes.
No membership needed. Enjoy Heel Fit home workouts on YouTube
- Group Fitness Semester Pass
Employees can now enjoy an unlimited number of group fitness classes held Monday through Friday, both in-person or live virtual group classes for the low cost of $30 per semester. Classes include Yoga, Barre, Step, Zumba, Lift and Pilates, and more! The class schedule will be updated regularly, check for weekly class offerings.
Contact Lindsay Brookey at firstname.lastname@example.org to get your semester pass today!
- Enjoy live group fitness classes on Facebook | View Schedule
- Enjoy brief Instagram stories including Trainer Tuesdays to learn healthy back stretches and more.
- Campus Recreation also has 95 Les Mills On Demand workouts waiting for you.
Fitness videos on YouTube by the UNC Wellness Centers
- Help you maintain both your physical and mental well-being.
- Y360 offers virtual access to the best group fitness classes on the go and resources for kids to learn, grow and thrive even when school’s out.
- Free exercise website recommended by Mayo Dan Abraham Clinic’s Healthy Living Center.
Free Yoga on YouTube
- Nutrition Tips during COVID-19 from Gillings Culture of Health
- Craving This? Eat That.
- Eat Well to Sleep Well
- How to Stay Healthyby WW
- Blogs to help you eat well, stay fit, well and positive
- Lifestyle Medical Center
- Offers NC State Health Plan members free telephonic counseling for weight loss or weight management, meal plaining, chronic disease management, physical exercise, sleep and stress management. These video visits use a HIPPA secure application that is accessible on smart phones, tablets, or computers. Book an appointment.
- The Produce Box delivers fresh produce, meat, dairy and bread
- As a State Health Plan member, you receive a free 12-month membership and $10 off your first order. ($20/yr. after free 12-months.) Sign up today with code: BLUE365. The Produce Box are addressing CDC’s guidelines regarding operations and delivery.
- Deliveries to UNC have been suspended during the time of reduced campus operations. If you used to receive your order at work, please update your delivery address and continue to support your local farmers. Request an address change.
- Sun Basket delivers healthy dinners to your door
- As a State Health Plan member, you receive 10% off plus $40 off your first order.
- Eat your kind of healthy with this, a premium, meal kit service that delivers fresh, organic produce, clean, pre-measured ingredients, and delicious, easy-to-follow recipes. Select the perfect meal plan or mix and match between 16 globally inspired recipes that are dietitian approved and crafted by award-winning Chef Justine Kelly. Eat clean, feel great. Sign up today at Blue365. Sun Basket is committed to staying open and serving you.
- Sun Basket COVID-19 Safety FAQs.
- Save on healthy snacks with KIND
- As a State Health Plan member, you receive 10% KIND bar subscription orders delivered every 30, 45, 60 or 90-days and free shipping on your Snack Club orders of $20+. No matter your diet, KIND has you covered with a variety of 70 healthy and tasty snacks and bars. Whether you’re looking to power a morning run, have a quick breakfast at home, or a healthy snack on the go – KIND offers a number of healthy snacks to fuel you throughout the day.
- Sign up today at Blue365
- Eat Smart, Move More Prevent Diabetes
- If you have been diagnosed with pre-diabetes or are at risk for developing type 2 diabetes, this program is for you. Eat Smart, Move More, Prevent Diabetes can help you prevent type 2 diabetes! This is a CDC-recognized diabetes prevention program based upon proven strategies to achieve and maintain a healthy weight. Key concepts include planning, tracking, and living mindfully to prevent diabetes. The program is delivered in a real-time, online format so you see and hear your instructor in a live session. The format of the class allows you to interact with your instructor and classmates.
- As a State Health Plan member, you pay only $30 for this 12-month series. All $30 will be refunded, if you meet the program attendance and tracking goals. Not sure if this program is for you?
- Find out if you’re at risk for pre-diabetes.|Sign up for an upcoming series starting soon.
- Child Care Referrals & Scholarships
- Dependent Day Care Flexible Spending Account
- Juggle App for safer, smarter, and simpler child care. UNC Chapel Hill employees now receive their first booking fee waived. Click here for the code.
- National Parent Helpline provides free emotional support from trained Advocates, Monday-Friday, 1 p.m. – 10 p.m. EST (in both English and Spanish) at 1-855-4A PARENT (1-855-427-2736).
- NC Child Care Resources and Referral Hotline: 1-888-600-1685, M-F 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
- Victory Village Day Care Center: 919-929-2662, M-F 7:30 a.m.-6:00 p.m.
- YMCA Scholastic Support Centers