Wellness Resources During COVID-19
|Back to COVID-19: Leave and Benefits||Back to COVID-19 HR Guide|
In light of the rapidly changing scenario we’re facing and the increase in telework, stress and anxiety levels may also be rising. We recognize the importance to share resources to help our community stay healthy both physically and mentally. Below you will find a collection of Work/Life and Wellness resources that we’ve gathered for you. We hope you will incorporate them in your new work-from-home routine and take advantage of the benefits they’ll bring you.View Flyer: Staying Well During COVID-19
If you, or someone you care about, are feeling overwhelmed with emotions like sadness, depression, or anxiety, or feel like you want to harm yourself or others, please reach out for help.
- If you are in an emergency situation, call 911
- GuidanceResources® Whether you’re looking for free counseling*, self-improvement tools or solutions to everyday issues call 877-314-5841 (TTY: 800-697-0353) or browse the many helpful tools online at guidanceresources.com
- Use Web ID: TARHEELS to sign up for GuidanceResources
- Not by a computer? Download the free GuidanceNowSM app to access these great resources from the palm your hand.
* As a UNC employee, you can receive three free counseling sessions per issue, per year, in-person or over the phone.
- For anyone affected by abuse or needing support, visit the National Domestic Violence Hotline or call 800-799-SAFE(7233) (TTY: 800-787-3224) or send the text LOVEIS to an advocate at 22522.
The live dates have capacity limitations, and it is likely that some of these webinars will exceed capacity. If that happens, some people will receive a message informing them that the session is full when they try to join. Although the webinar itself has capacity limitations, we are not limiting the number of people who can register. By allowing everyone to register, we are able to gather email addresses and send all registrants a recording of the session within 24 hours of the live webinar. Rest assured, if you are unable to get in to the live session, you will receive an email with access to the recording.
Live webinar opportunities are available each month. Check out the schedule here.
- How to Use Food to Balance Stress (79 minutes)
- How to Work at Home with Resilience and Less Stress (66 minutes)
- How to Use Movement to Protect Your Neck and Back (65 minutes)
- Demo: Movements to Protect Your Neck and Back (11 minutes)
- How to Work at Home without Screwing Up Your Back (42 minutes)
- Why Sleep? – The connection between sleep and memory, aging, safety and immunity (40 minutes)
- Sleep: An Essential Component of Health and Well-Being (54 minutes)
- Self-Isolating Together: How to Get Along with your Partner and Kids during the Pandemic (60 minutes)
- Tools to Handle COVID-19 Related Stress (44 minutes)
- Managing Worry & Anxiety During COVID-19 (39 minutes)
- Why Can’t I Stop Eating? How Emotions Impact Our Eating During COVID-19 (60 minutes)
- Navigating Your Work From Home Transition Due to the Coronavirus (65 minutes)
- Coping with Uncertainty about the Coronavirus (pre-recorded 44 minutes) | For links to this session in other languages (Cantonese, Mandarin, Italian, Japanese and Korean), email email Jessica Pyjas.
- Dealing with the Effects of Social Disruption (Tip sheet)
- Exercises You Can Do While Sitting at Your Desk (Tip sheet)
- Struggling with Anger (Tip sheet)
- When Children and Parents are Stuck at Home (Tip sheet)
- Building Parenting Resilience (Tip sheet)
- How to Control Your Temper Around Your Children (Tip sheet)
- Work From Home Tips: Finding Comfort in a New Healthy Routine (Tips sheet)
- How to Find Your Focus While Working from Home (Tip sheet)
- 8 Ways to Quiet Your Mind and Sleep Better Tonight (Tip sheet)
- Strategies to Promote Better Sleep in these Uncertain Times
- Why a Good Night’s Sleep is so Important Now, More Than Ever (Tip sheet)
- Juggling the Demands of Working at Home
- Talking to Children about COVID-19
- CDC Coronavirus Disease 2019 Resources for Stress Management, Self-Care, Parents, People at Higher Risk, Responders and more.
If you’re feeling stressed or nervous during these days of COVID-19, you’re not alone. What you’re feeling is common around the world. Below you’ll find some helpful tips from the Mental Health First Aid curriculum to help you care for your own and your loved ones’ mental health.
- Essential Self-Care for Essential Workers on the Frontlines of COVID-19
- Five Tips to Help You Practice Self-Love
- How to Create Your Own Self-Care Plan
- Five Ways to Protect Your Mental Health with Mental Health First Aid
- Tips to Help Children and Youth Take Care of Their Mental Health During COVID-19
- How to Care for Yourself While Practicing Physical Distancing
- How to Help Someone with Anxiety or Depression During COVID-19
- 4 Self-Care Tips for How to Deal with Anxiety
- How to Support a Loved One Going Through a Tough Time During COVID-19
Resources from UNC School of Medicines Well-Being Program
- Mental Health/Emotional Support Resources
- Mental Health and Well-Being Survival Guide for COVID-19 (pre-recorded 36 minutes)
Provides mental health and well-being advice for getting through the COVID-19 crisis, including ways to protect and mitigate negative effects; how to maximize constructive and minimize destructive coping; reviewing the ethical issues faced in this pandemic; specific tools that help improve well-being and more.
- One-Minute Mindfulness Meditation: Taking Care of You During COVID-19
- 6-8 Minute Self-Care through Self-Massage – Three brief videos to help you learn massage to cope in crisis or any time. Videos feature instruction on how to massage your neck and shoulders, hands and arms, and feet and legs.
- 15-20 Minute Community Contemplative Practice with Mindful UNC
- Every Monday at 8 a.m.
- To Join: Contact Mindful UNC and we’ll be happy to share the Zoom link with you.
- 30-Minute Mindfulness Meditation Self-Compassion Sessions.
- 30-Minute Qi Gong for Beginners with UNC’s Dr. Kristen Polzien
- Facing Pandemic Fears with an Awake Heart with Tara Brach (pre-recorded 61 minutes)
- Mindfulness Exercises – 2,000+ free mindfulness exercises, including courses, audio, worksheets, quotes and more.
- The Frank Porter Graham Program on Mindfulness & Self-Compassion for Families offers a suite of self-compassion trainings for teens, pre-teens, children, parents, educators and adults who seek greater compassion for themselves and others.
Join 40 colleges and universities by logging your activity in the National REC MOVEMENT and help Carolina represent how we’re staying active in a time of social distancing.
Relax and rejuvenate with gentle yoga. A yoga mat and comfortable clothing are all that are required. Optional supplies include a firm blanket, yoga strap and open wall space or sturdy chair.
- Free On-Demand Fitness Classes Join Campus Recreation on-demand and stay active anytime and anywhere. Take a break and enjoy a quick 15-30 minute pre-recorded class now available on YouTube. Classes include:
- Core & Strength
- Cardio & HIIT
- Yoga & Restore
- Barre & Pilates
- Seated & Accessible Workouts
New classes are added weekly! Click here to access classes.
- Group Fitness Semester Pass
Employees can now enjoy an unlimited number of group fitness classes held Monday through Friday, both in-person or live virtual group classes for the low cost of $30 per semester. Classes include Yoga, Barre, Step, Zumba, Lift and Pilates, and more! The class schedule will be updated regularly, check for weekly class offerings.
Contact Lindsay Brookey at firstname.lastname@example.org to get your semester pass today!
- Enjoy live group fitness classes on Facebook | View Schedule
- Enjoy brief Instagram stories including Trainer Tuesdays to learn healthy back stretches and more.
- Campus Recreation also has 95 Les Mills On Demand workouts waiting for you.
Fitness videos on YouTube by the UNC Wellness Centers
- Help you maintain both your physical and mental well-being.
- Y360 offers virtual access to the best group fitness classes on the go and resources for kids to learn, grow and thrive even when school’s out.
- Free exercise website recommended by Mayo Dan Abraham Clinic’s Healthy Living Center.
- Multi-resource guide from the American College of Sports Medicine
- View PDF: Staying Active During Coronavirus Pandemic
Free Yoga on YouTube
- Nutrition Tips during COVID-19 from Gillings Culture of Health
- Craving This? Eat That.
- Eat Well to Sleep Well
- How to Stay Healthy by WW
- Blogs to help you eat well, stay fit, well and positive
- Lifestyle Medical Center
- Offers NC State Health Plan members free telephonic counseling for weight loss or weight management, meal plaining, chronic disease management, physical exercise, sleep and stress management. These video visits use a HIPPA secure application that is accessible on smart phones, tablets, or computers. Book an appointment.
- The Produce Box delivers fresh produce, meat, dairy and bread
- As a State Health Plan member, you receive a free 12-month membership and $10 off your first order. ($20/yr. after free 12-months.) Sign up today with code: BLUE365. The Produce Box are addressing CDC’s guidelines regarding operations and delivery.
- Deliveries to UNC have been suspended during the time of reduced campus operations. If you used to receive your order at work, please update your delivery address and continue to support your local farmers. Request an address change.
- Sun Basket delivers healthy dinners to your door
- As a State Health Plan member, you receive 10% off plus $40 off your first order.
- Eat your kind of healthy with this, a premium, meal kit service that delivers fresh, organic produce, clean, pre-measured ingredients, and delicious, easy-to-follow recipes. Select the perfect meal plan or mix and match between 16 globally inspired recipes that are dietitian approved and crafted by award-winning Chef Justine Kelly. Eat clean, feel great. Sign up today at Blue365. Sun Basket is committed to staying open and serving you.
- Sun Basket COVID-19 Safety FAQs.
- Save on healthy snacks with KIND
- As a State Health Plan member, you receive 10% KIND bar subscription orders delivered every 30, 45, 60 or 90-days and free shipping on your Snack Club orders of $20+. No matter your diet, KIND has you covered with a variety of 70 healthy and tasty snacks and bars. Whether you’re looking to power a morning run, have a quick breakfast at home, or a healthy snack on the go – KIND offers a number of healthy snacks to fuel you throughout the day.
- Sign up today at Blue365
- Eat Smart, Move More Prevent Diabetes
- If you have been diagnosed with pre-diabetes or are at risk for developing type 2 diabetes, this program is for you. Eat Smart, Move More, Prevent Diabetes can help you prevent type 2 diabetes! This is a CDC-recognized diabetes prevention program based upon proven strategies to achieve and maintain a healthy weight. Key concepts include planning, tracking, and living mindfully to prevent diabetes. The program is delivered in a real-time, online format so you see and hear your instructor in a live session. The format of the class allows you to interact with your instructor and classmates.
- As a State Health Plan member, you pay only $30 for this 12-month series. All $30 will be refunded, if you meet the program attendance and tracking goals. Not sure if this program is for you?
- Find out if you’re at risk for pre-diabetes. | Sign up for an upcoming series starting soon.
Enjoy Theatre from Home
- Join UNC Department of Music for a virtual watch party every first Friday of the month at 12:15 p.m.
- The Shows Must Go On! Enjoy Andrew Lloyd Webber musicals free on YouTube every Friday starting in April.
- The Kennedy Center’s Digital Stage is offering full performances from musical theatre and opera, to dance and comedy at no cost to you!
- BroadwayHD’s platform houses acquired performances of classics including “The King and I,” and originals the platform filmed, in addition to various performances from Broadway to The West End and beyond. Enjoy a free seven-day trial and pay $8.99/mo. or $99.99/yr. afterwards to continue viewing.
- Although you cannot go to NC Theatre, you can enjoy listening to their Quaran Tunes Spotify playlist to help you dance through the weekend! Free tunes to enjoy.
Check out the many free StarCourses taught by favorite celebrity experts, virtual classes and summer camps.
- Join Carolina Tiger Rescue Live Streams on Facebook
Meet the tigers safely from the comfort of your own home during the weekly Tiger Tales every Tuesday at 9:30 a.m.
- Disney+ for Free for 7-days
Enjoy endless entertainment (Frozen, Toy Story, Black Panther and more) for seven days at no cost. Afterwards pay $6.99/mo. or $69.99/yr. You may also bundle Hulu, Disney+ and ESPN+ for only $12.99/mo. Access this deal in your Working Advantage account or create your free account with Member ID 653475624. Deal found in “Shopping Deals.”Call 800-565-3712 if you have questions.
- 10 Super-Fun Ways to Keep Kids Social (at a safe distance)
It’s healthy for kids to stay connected. Here are several ideas for kids to socialize while keeping distanced and safe.
- Cook-Along Classes and recipes for kids on Raddish
Cooking can be fun for adults and kids alike. As a response to the COVID-19 outbreak, Raddish is offering kids from all over the world free access to their Cook-along classes meant for kids, recipes and kid-friendly cooking camps.
- Educational videos, games and activities from National Geographic kids
National geographic have put together a collection of kid-friendly content. You can access free educational videos, games, and activities to learn about nature, animals and wildlife preservation.
- Free Crayola Coloring Pages, Crafts and more
Over 1,100 coloring pages ready to be printed. The coloring pages have a different level of difficulty and themes. So, whatever your kids are into, you will find it in there. Besides, kids can also learn to make crafts, or learn scientific and educational stuff in a fun way.
- Online classes, E-learning, Multimedia and Other Materials to Keep Kids of All Ages Busy and Engaged while in Self-Isolation (GuidanceResources®)
Benefits Resources During COVID-19
Visit the Benefits Resources During COVID-19 page for information and resources regarding your health plan and pharmacy benefits, flexible spending account, financial planning, as well as resources for non-State Health Plan covered employees.
Questions? Email email@example.com