To: All Supervisors of EHRA Non-Faculty Employees and HR Representatives
From: Becci Menghini, Vice Chancellor for Human Resources and Equal Opportunity and Compliance
As you’ve heard, we’ve recently implemented Carolina Talent Performance as the new platform for managing employee performance. Launched in April for SHRA employees, Carolina Talent will be available for EHRA Non-Faculty employees beginning Thursday, July 1.
A webinar for managers of EHRA Non-Faculty employees will be held on Monday, June 28, to give an overview of the EHRA performance process and how the system works.
The calendar invitation for this webinar is attached to this email. You can add the meeting to your calendar by opening the attachment and saving it. Please note that a separate invitation for this event will not be sent.
The Manager Curriculum in Carolina Talent houses all performance management training resources in one place. Content available through this curriculum includes the guides, recordings and instructions you will need for getting started, developing a performance plan and setting goals in Carolina Talent.
In addition, you will also find online classes on the following topics:
- Overview of Carolina Talent Performance.
- Creating and changing an employee’s development plan.
- Creating and assigning goals in an employee’s performance plan.
- Finding, changing and updating performance goals.
Designed as quick references for managers, the “Carolina Talent Performance Resources” in the Manager Toolkit include:
- Reference cards for system generated emails and 2021 performance deadlines.
- Reference guide for managers.
- Question-and-answer webinar training on performance for managers.
To clarify things that may be confusing, this toolkit also links to policy-related resources like:
- Template for the annual performance appraisal.
- FAQ for EHRA Non-Faculty Performance.
- Webinar for regulations on annual performance appraisal process.
Finally, as a reminder, the performance management season for EHRA Non-Faculty employees begins July 1, with performance appraisals to be uploaded by August 13 and performance plans to be completed by August 31.
Be sure to allow yourself extra time to get used to the new system, and please reach out to us at email@example.com if you have any questions.
Oh—one more thing! Changes to the 2021-2022 process
While much of the performance management process is legislated by the state, there are areas where we can standardize the SHRA and EHRA Non-Faculty performance processes to make them less confusing for managers who have a mix of employee types on their teams and to more broadly use features that work well.
To this end, we’ve put in place some changes for next year, including the adoption of a common review period, which will enable managers to consider goals that span their entire organization, set goals more consistently and even use Carolina Talent Performance functionality to cascade common goals throughout an entire organization if appropriate.
The 2021-2022 common review period will run from April 1 to March 31 annually for EHRA Non-Faculty and SHRA employees. To transition to this new timeframe:
- EHRA Non-Faculty performance review period will be abbreviated, starting July 1, 2021, and ending March 31, 2022.
- Common performance review completion deadline will be May 31 for all employees so that managers will still have two months to complete all reviews.
Other changes to the EHRA Non-Faculty performance review process for next year include:
- Institutional goals for EHRA Non-Faculty employees.
- Required mid-cycle review for EHRA Non-Faculty employees receiving a “Not Meeting Expectations” on any goal.