Influenza (the flu) is a contagious respiratory illness caused by influenza viruses, which can cause mild to severe illness. The best way to prevent the flu is by being vaccinated each year.
Starting Sept. 8, 2020, there are several opportunities for UNC-Chapel Hill community members to obtain a flu vaccination on campus:
- Student Stores Pharmacy will offer no-appointment flu shots for students, faculty and staff during operating hours (Mon.-Fri. 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Sat. 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.). The Student Stores Pharmacy is located on the 3rd floor of the UNC Student Stores building. Medicare plans are not accepted.
- Campus Health Pharmacy will offer no-appointment flu shots for students, faculty and staff during operating hours (Mon.-Fri. 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.). This clinic will be outside at the Loading Dock area of Campus Health (between Kenan Stadium and UNC Hospitals). Medicare plans are not accepted.
- University Employee Occupational Health Clinic will offer flu vaccinations by appointment only for University healthcare personnel (including the School of Medicine) and other personnel who are part of the Immunization Review Program. Please call the UEOHC at 919-966-9119 to schedule an appointment.
- Campus Walk-in Clinics – several walk-up flu vaccinations clinics will be offered at various locations across campus with no advance registration required. All clinic times listed below are from noon to 4 p.m.:
- Thursday, Sept. 17 – Tent at Polk Place
- Thursday, Oct. 1 – Tent at Genetic Medicine Building
- Thursday, Oct. 8 – Breezeway at Genome Sciences Building
- Thursday, Oct. 15 – Tent at Polk Place
- Friday, Oct. 16 – Tent at Genetic Medicine Building
- Friday, Oct. 23 – Giles Horney Building
Hourly/short-term parking options near Student Stores Pharmacy and Polk Place include 30-minute meters in the Undergraduate Library Lot (next to Student Stores), along South Road (meters), or in Rams Head Deck. Parking regulations are in effect, and the hourly rate is $1.75. Contactless payment may be made via ParkMobile.
Most insurance providers offer flu vaccination with no copay. Campus Health is in-network with most major insurance plans, including the State Health Plan and Student Blue. See the Campus Health website for more information about health plans accepted. Campus Health does not accept Medicare plans. Please bring a copy of your insurance card. You will be billed for any out-of-pocket expense as determined by your insurance company. Flu vaccination is available for $40 for those without insurance.
Learn more at flu.unc.edu.