Administrative Absence Leave (SHRA)
Management may approve the use of administrative absence leave for employees to participate in State-related activities specified below.
In order for an event to be eligible for administrative absence leave, it must occur during the employee’s regular work schedule. If an employee’s job responsibilities include attendance at an activity or event, then attendance will be considered a work assignment and be included as hours worked for purposes of computing overtime for Fair Labor Standards Act nonexempt employees.
Department management shall grant paid administrative absence leave to an employee for any of the following purposes:
- to serve on State commissions, councils, boards and committees
- to locate and move to a new residence when a transfer is required by the agency
- to recover from a smallpox vaccination
- to place an employee on Investigatory Leave with Pay Status (ILWP)
- – see Disciplinary Action & Related Separations Policy (SHRA) for more information
- to attend workers’ compensation hearings – see Workers’ Compensation for more information
- to attend conferences that are closely associated with an employee’s work, but that are not required as a work assignment
Service on State Boards
Administrative absence leave shall be granted for employees to fulfill their responsibilities as members of councils, commissions, boards and committees established by the General Assembly or other bodies established by the Governor and Council of State. If an employee is required to attend any meeting as a part of his/her job responsibilities, attendance will be considered a work assignment and not leave. Employees may not accept fees for serving unless provided otherwise by law; but they may retain reimbursement for expenses incurred provided they are not reimbursed for the same expenses by the University.
When an employee transfers to a new duty station 35 miles or more away from his/her current residence, department management has the discretion to provide reimbursement of moving expenses if the employee chooses to change place of residence due to the new duty station. Administrative absence leave may be granted up to a maximum of three trips of three days each to locate a new residence. Up to two days of administrative absence leave may be granted while the employee moves household and personal goods from the old residence to the new one.
Administrative absence leave (up to a total of 480 hours) shall be applied when the employee who has received a smallpox vaccination has an adverse medical reaction to the vaccination, or the employee is permanently or temporarily living in the home of a person who has received a smallpox vaccination and the absence is due to the employee having an adverse medical reaction resulting from exposure to the vaccinated person or the need to care for the vaccinated person who had an adverse medical reaction to the vaccination. Department management may require the employee to obtain certification from a health care provider justifying the need for leave after the first 24 hours (three days) of leave taken.
Employees shall request administrative absence leave in accordance with departmental policies regarding leave request.
Use of administrative absence leave shall be recorded and tracked by the department’s HR Representative or Time Information Management (TIM) Administrator. Administrative absence leave does not contribute to time worked for determining overtime eligibility and will be offset by any additional time worked during the workweek.
- department management: the person or persons in an employee’s School/Division/Department authorized to allow leave under this policy.
- SHRA employees: employees subject to the State Personnel Act
- department management: authorizes use of administrative absence leave; may authorize reimbursement of moving expenses for employee transferring to new duty station 35 miles or more away from current residence; may require certification from a health care provider for employee requesting smallpox vaccination-related administrative absence leave
- HR Representative or TIM Administrator: records and tracks administrative absence leave