Verification of U.S. Citizenship
On occasion, the Office of Human Resources will be asked to verify citizenship for an employee in order for him/her to conduct University business (for example, access to external confidential systems and information).
Upon receipt of the request to verify citizenship, the Employment & Staffing Services department will request that the employee present evidence of citizenship, review the documentation provided and if verified, sign the attestation of citizenship.
- U.S. Passport (not limited passports)
- Certificate of Naturalization (N-550 or N-570)
- Certificate of Citizenship (N-560 or N-561)
Identity documents are required with the following documents that establish citizenship
- US Public Birth Record showing birth in one of the 50 states, District of Columbia, American Territories or Guam
- US birth certificate or data match with a State Vital Statistic Agency
- Certification of Report of Birth (DS-1350)
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the U.S.(FS-240)
- Certification of Birth Abroad (FS-545)
- United States Citizen Identification Card (I-197 or the prior version I-179)
- American Indian Card (I-872) with the classification “KIC” (Issued by DHS to identify U.S. citizen members of the Texas Band of Kickapoos living near the U.S./Mexican border)
- Collective Naturalization document/Northern Mariana Identification Card (I-873)
- Final Adoption Decree
- Evidence of civil service employment by the US government
- Official Military record
- Federal or State census record showing U.S. citizenship indicating a US place of birth
- Tribal census record for Seneca Indian tribe or from Bureau of Indian Affairs
- Statement signed by the physician or midwife who was in attendance at the time of birth
- Driver’s license or ID card issued by a state or outlying possession of the United States bearing the individual’s photograph
- Identification card issued by federal, state or local government agencies or entities with photo or identifying information
- Native American tribal document
- US Military card or draft record
- Military dependent’s ID card
- US Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Card
- School identification card
All documents that verify citizenship must be either originals or certified by the issuing agency.
For questions regarding verification of U.S. citizenship for purposes of University business, please contact the Senior Director of Employment & Staffing or the Manager of Staffing Support Services at 919-843-2300.