- This event has passed.
Sleep: An Essential Component of Health and Well-Being
November 10, 2021 @ 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
In the past five years, it has been routinely reported by researchers and the media alike that Americans are notoriously sleep deprived. There are numerous reasons why this may be the case. Yet while many people look towards improving their health via diet, exercise and ceasing bad consumption habits (e.g., junk food, cigarettes), sleep is often overlooked—or is it? Sleep medications will surpass $5 billion in annual sales within the next year. Apparently not only are Americans having difficulty getting sufficient quantities of quality sleep, they are also having difficulties getting to sleep. This workshop provides the latest research findings regarding the importance of sleep and offers participants suggestions on how to improve their sleep according to priority and quality measures.
At the end of this workshop, you will be able to:
Describe the importance of sleep
• Identify the purpose of sleep for the body/mind
• Describe sleep’s role in memory consolidation
• Identify the consequences of sleep deprivation on your body, your emotional well-being, thinking
Describe the elements of good “sleep hygiene”
• Describe why consistency is the key in developing good sleep habits and preventing most problems
• Describe the influence of light, temperature, sound in establishing quality sleep
Identify ways to assess your sleep needs
• Describe how shift work, travel and erratic sleep patterns create risk for developing sleep disturbances
• Identify any possible symptoms of sleep disorders such as sleep apnea and insomnia
• Describe resources available to address sleep problems
Date: Wednesday, November 10, 2021
Time: 12:00 – 1:00 p.m.
To register Click Here