Dear Carolina Community,
Earlier this summer, the Campus Safety Commission presented its recommendations for improving safety among several areas. We wanted to share an immediate step we have implemented to enhance safety communications.
We recently launched the Carolina Ready Safety App, a comprehensive mobile tool developed in consultation with UNC Police Chief David Perry and his team. This app will connect members of our community with safety resources and help their families stay connected with them. We encourage everyone to download the app and use it when you return to campus.
Carolina Ready features include:
- Mobile BlueLight – Activating this alert on campus places an emergency call to UNC 9-1-1 Dispatch and identifies your location.
- Friend Walk – Ask a family member or friend to remotely monitor your location on a map while you walk to your destination and know that you arrive safely.
- WorkAlone – This feature will send you a push notification while you are working or studying alone and will call your emergency contact if you fail to acknowledge the notification.
- Report a Tip – Share information with UNC Police through a phone call or the app including options to remain anonymous.
- Take Action Guides – Access tips and guidance on what to do in various situations so you can be prepared before an emergency occurs.
- Carolina Together – Find Roadmap for Fall 2020 information, including maps with food truck locations, outdoor seating areas and student mask distribution locations.
- Alert Carolina – Receive important Alert Carolina notifications.
- News Feed— Read the latest updates posted on UNC’s Twitter account.
The app also includes links to key health and wellness resources and parking and transit information.
Thank you to the members of the Campus Safety Commission for their thorough and thoughtful recommendations. We are continuing to review the Commission’s annual report and will keep you updated on our comprehensive efforts to improve campus safety and security at Carolina. We look forward to seeing you on campus soon.
Kevin M. Guskiewicz
George Battle III
Vice Chancellor for Institutional Integrity and Risk Management