This is to inform employees about certain requirements passed by the General Assembly in their most recent session. After the budget legislation passes, the Office of State Human Resources and UNC General Administration typically provide guidance on how individual requirements included in legislation are to be implemented. We are still awaiting specific guidance on many legislative actions, and we will continue to update you as we receive this information.
SHRA Legislative Increase
The Appropriations Act of 2017 provides a $1,000 salary increase to the June 30, 2017, salary for eligible SHRA employees effective July 1, 2017, with no consideration of the maximum of the range. A pro-rata amount applies for eligible part-time employees.
Additional eligibility criteria include:
- Employees with permanent (full-time/part-time), probationary, and time-limited appointments are eligible, including those permanent full-time employees who work a 9-, 10-, or 11-month work schedule.
- The increase does not apply to employees who leave state service prior to July 1, 2017, or to employees hired effective July 1, 2017, or later.
- Employees on an approved leave of absence without pay receive the legislative increase when they return to work.
- Employees are eligible for the increase without consideration of performance ratings or disciplinary actions.
- Longevity payments for July will be calculated to reflect the legislative increase.
- All eligible employees will receive the increase, regardless of their funding source.
For UNC-Chapel Hill employees, the SHRA legislative increase will be reflected in the August 18 paycheck, paid retroactive to July 1.
The Office of State Human Resources has also adjusted the career banding pay ranges to reflect the last two across-the-board SHRA legislative increases (1.5% in 2016 and $1000 in 2017). The contributing, journey, and advanced market rates and the range maximums have been increased. The minimums of the ranges will remain the same. An updated listing of the pay bands is available on the OHR website.
EHRA Annual Raise Process
We have not yet received guidance on the EHRA annual raise process from UNC General Administration. We will provide that information when it is issued.
Bonus Leave Award
The General Assembly has awarded 24 hours (three days) of bonus leave to all full-time, permanent employees who earn leave, effective July 1, 2017. We have not yet received guidance on the bonus leave implementation, but it has already been added into TIM. Therefore, employees can begin using the bonus leave awards as of July 1.
As noted in the legislation, leave is credited on a pro-rata basis for eligible part-time employees. This leave will not expire and is not paid out if the employee leaves state service.