May is Mental Health Awareness Month
The importance of mental health awareness has been especially prominent in recent times. With pandemic stress, changes in our work and home environments, homeschooling our children and continual uncertainty, many of us may have felt the effects of these stressors on our own mental health.
Our mental health impacts how we think, feel and act and includes emotional, psychological, and social well-being. We can support the positive mental and social wellbeing of our friends, family, co-workers and ourselves by:
- Taking media breaks | Limit exposure to news and social media.
- Caring for our bodies | Get plenty of sleep, eat a healthy diet and stay active.
- Making time to unwind | Schedule time for yourself each day for something you enjoy, like reading, meditation, having a cup of tea, walking outdoors, taking a bubble bath, etc.
- Connecting with others | Talk to those you trust about your concerns and how you’re feeling and check in on how they’re feel too.
Resources for Employees
UNC offers a variety of resources to support the positive mental and social wellbeing of its employees. Here are some resources available to you.
Join GuidanceResources for an upcoming Wellness Wednesday webinar every week at noon:
- May 11 – Using Guided Imagery for Wellness and Stress Reduction
- May 18 – Mindfulness: Being Present in Your Work and Life
- May 25 – Resiliency: Bouncing Back After a Setback
- May 31 – Laughter Humor and Play to Reduce Stress
Mindful Meditation Sessions
Bring balance to your day with free 15-30-minute mediations sessions available every week.
- Mondays at 12:15- 12:45 p.m. with Jonny Gerkin (Sign up via email)
- Wednesdays at 12:30 – 12:45 p.m. with Meenu Tewari (Participate on MS Teams)
Gentle Yoga Sessions
Relax and rejuvenate with free virtual gentle yoga sessions offered by Gillings Culture of Health.
- Monday afternoons noon–12:30 p.m.
- Monday and Wednesday evenings 5:15-6 p.m.
Yoga in the Garden
Enjoy the sounds and sights of nature at Yoga in the Garden at NC Botanical Gardens every Tuesday 10-11 a.m. Registration required; $12–$13 per session.
Wellness On-Demand Library
Learn something new at a time for you: Check out this collection this collection of wellness resources and enjoy new content added to the Mindfulness & Self-Care section, including ComPsych podcasts, resources for the department of psychiatry, and UNC Wellness Centers.
Heels Care Network
With care.unc.edu, find training, get 24/7 crisis support or refer a friend for help — all in one place.
Your free Employee Assistance Program offers 24/7 counseling and self-improvement solutions to everyday issues. To contact, call 877-314-5841 or access online resources, including a 10-question stress assessment, with Organization Web ID: TARHEELS.
Remember, support is a phone call away
- Call 911 in case of an emergency.
- Call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 800-799-SAFE (7233) or text LOVEIS to 22522 for help with abusive situations.
Find additional support with Mental Health America
- Mental Health Month
- Mental Health Test
- Maintaining Good Mental Health
- Recognizing When You Need Help