To: HR Officers and Secondary Contacts
From: Linc Butler, Associate Vice Chancellor for Human Resources
Noreen Montgomery, Senior Director, Employment and Staffing
Vanessa Ragland, Director, EHRA Non-Faculty Human Resources
In response to President Biden’s Executive Order 14042 and guidance issued by the Safer Federal Workforce Task Force requiring “covered employees of federal contractors” to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 no later than Jan. 4, 2022, the Office of Human Resources (OHR) and the Academic Personnel Office (APO) revised several employment related forms, templates, and resources to align with current Federal, State, and University regulations and policies. Please note the following updates:
“Welcome to Carolina Blue” Job Offer Acceptance Letter
- The “Welcome to Carolina Blue” Job Acceptance Letter includes a statement regarding the federal COVID-19 vaccine requirement. In addition, a link to the Carolina Together website is included for reference. Please note that your assigned Talent Acquisition Partner will soon send an updated welcome letter template for immediate use to school/division HR offices that extend their own job offers. All new SHRA permanent and time-limited employees must receive the welcome letter prior to their first day of work.
Conditions of Employment
- An updated version of the Conditions of Employment for permanent and temporary faculty is currently being finalized and will be consistent with the SHRA and EHRA Non-Faculty COE where applicable. Upon completion, the COE’s will be uploaded to the APO website and a communication will be sent to HR Officers.
The Conditions of Employment (COE) for SHRA and EHRA Non-Faculty permanent employees and all other SHRA employment types includes the University’s policy on compliance with Department of Environment, Health and Safety (“EHS”) policies and procedures. Revised versions of the COE are located in the HR Community Toolkit under “Employment Forms.”
Contingent & Formal Job Offer Conversation Talking Points for SHRA Employees
A talking points template has been developed to include both contingent and formal job offer talking points for consistency. The federal COVID-19 vaccine requirement has been added as a talking point as well as several other talking points to reflect most recent Office of State Human Resources (OSHR) and University guidance available at this time. Your assigned Talent Acquisition Partner will send the job offer conversation talking points for immediate use to school/division HR offices that extend their own offers.
Offer Talking Points for EHRA Non-Faculty Employees
- EHRA Non-Faculty offers (formal and contingent) are extended by HR offices in each school/division who have developed guidelines or talking points unique to their areas; therefore, a formal template is not provided. However, school/division HR offices must ensure that the federal COVID-19 vaccine requirement is communicated to the candidate during the offer process and are encouraged to use the following language during job offer conversations:
- Like SHRA, the federal COVID-19 vaccine requirement is communicated when the verbal offer is extended and is included in the “Welcome to Carolina Blue Job Offer Acceptance Letter” and the Conditions of Employment. The language is not added to the EHRA Non-Faculty Letter of Appointment.
There is a federal COVID-19 vaccine requirement that applies to all employees who are working on or in connection with a federal contract or who work in the same location as employees working on a federal contract. The requirement applies to full-time, part-time, and temporary employees, as well as those working remotely or under flexible work arrangements. For additional information regarding the vaccine requirement, requests for medical or religious exemptions and FAQs, please refer to the Carolina Together website.
UNC Faculty Handbook
- A hyperlink to the Carolina Together website will soon be added to the “Resources for New Faculty” section of the UNC Faculty Handbook.
PeopleAdmin Applicant Portal
- A message informing users of the federal COVID-19 vaccine requirement has been added to the PeopleAdmin applicant portal. This message includes a link to the Carolina Together website and will be posted until further notice.
Should you have questions regarding the updates, please contact your assigned Talent Acquisition Partner or EHRA Non-Faculty HR Consultant in OHR or Debra McLaughlin (firstname.lastname@example.org) in APO for assistance.