Back to Open Enrollment
NCFlex Life Insurance and Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&:D) — Core and/or Voluntary — plans are being consolidated into a single policy and moving to a UNC System Benefits plan for 2023. If you currently have NCFlex coverage under these plans, your coverage will automatically be mapped to the UNC System. For more information, see the UNC System Benefits page of the HR at UNC Open Enrollment website.
- Those with NCFlex coverage on Dec. 31, 2022, will have their policy value moved into the UNC Life Insurance plan on Jan. 1, 2023.
- Current NCFlex coverage ends Dec. 31, 2022, for UNC System employees.
- Maximum coverage limit for the UNC Life Insurance is increasing to accommodate those who might have the maximum value in both life insurance plans currently.
This plan pays a benefit directly to the employee for injuries due to an accident. While health insurance pays for the treatment of an injury, this plan pays a benefit to the employee to help financially.
NEW for 2023:
- Changes from a single plan to a two-option plan: high and low options.
- The high option will feature a new Wellness Benefit and Voya Travel Assistance.
For more information, see the Accident Plan page of the Office of State Human Resources website.
MetLife is the dental vendor. There are three plans to choose from depending on dental needs.
- NEW for 2023: Dental insurance premiums will have a small increase.
For more information, see the Dental Plan page of the Office of State Human Resources website.
Flexible Spending Accounts
FSAs can be used to set aside money on a pre-tax basis to help pay for medical expenses (copays, deductibles, coinsurance, etc.) or to help pay for child care services for children age 13 and younger.
You must reenroll in the Health Care and/or Dependent Day Care Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs) each year to make contributions in the upcoming plan year. If you do not reenroll, your current contributions end on Dec. 31, 2022.
You can use the NCFlex Convenience Card to pay for eligible expenses for both the Health Care FSA and the Dependent Day Care FSA.
Health Care FSA
- NEW for 2023: Maximum annual contribution for 2023 is $2,850 per employee. This is an increase of $100 from 2022.
- NEW for 2023: Unused 2022 Health Care FSA funds up to $550 will roll over from 2022 to 2023 as long as you have a minimum balance of $25. Any funds exceeding this amount will be forfeited.
- If you do not reenroll in the Health Care FSA for 2023, you may still use this rollover funds during 2023.
- You have until March 31, 2024, to file for reimbursement of Health Care FSA expenses incurred for the 2023 plan (Jan. 1-Dec. 31, 2022).
Dependent Day Care FSA
To view your current FSA account, go to ncflex.padmin.com.
For more information, see the Flexible Spending Accounts page of the Office of State Human Resources website.
This plan is enhancement for those covered on TRICARE, the military health plan. It can be utilized by those on TRICARE in lieu of the State Health Plan.
For more information, see the TRICARE Supplement page of the Office of State Human Resources website.
EyeMed is the vendor for this plan that has several plan options to choose from.
- If you are not currently enrolled in vision coverage, you can enroll in the Core Vision Plan at no cost.
- This coverage provides a wellness exam for $20 plus discounts on materials.
For more information, see the Vision Plan page of the Office of State Human Resources website.
- You cannot be covered as an employee and a dependent when electing coverage under the NCFlex plans.
If you have questions about these NCFlex items or need help with the State Enrollment Portal, call the State Eligibility and Enrollment Support Center at 855-859-0966, Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-10 p.m., and Saturday, 8 a.m.–5 p.m.
You will use the State Enrollment Portal to make your elections for NCFlex.
This information applies only to UNC-Chapel Hill benefits-eligible permanent employees (permanent full- and part-time SHRA, EHRA Non-Faculty and Faculty working a minimum of 20 hours a week). For more information about benefits eligibility, please visit hr.unc.edu/benefits/eligibility.