(permanent full- and part-time SHRA, EHRA Non-Faculty and Faculty working a minimum of 20 hours a week).
For more information about benefits eligibility, please visit hr.unc.edu/benefits/eligibility.
Open Enrollment begins today, Monday, October 10, for eligible University employees. The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill offers comprehensive benefits plans, and we encourage you to take advantage of the many benefits choices offered to you and your family.
Now through Friday, Oct. 28, 2022, you can choose or make changes to your benefits coverage for the upcoming year. During this time, you can make selections for the State Health Plan, NCFlex and UNC System Benefits. The elections you make during Open Enrollment will go into effect Jan. 1, 2023, and remain in effect through Dec. 31, 2023.
If you are currently enrolled for health coverage under the State Health Plan, you and your eligible dependents will be automatically enrolled in the 70/30 Plan for 2022. If you want to enroll in the 80/20 Plan, you must actively enroll during Open Enrollment.
If you want to reduce your premium under any of the plans offered by the State Health Plan, you MUST complete your tobacco attestation by Oct. 28, 2022. If you fail to take action during Open Enrollment, your monthly premiums will be considerably higher in 2023. Tobacco users can complete a free tobacco cessation session no later than Nov. 30, 2022, to avoid the monthly $60 charge.
For more information about Open Enrollment for eligible UNC-Chapel Hill employees, visit our Open Enrollment website at hr.unc.edu/enroll to find helpful information like:
- Open Enrollment checklist and summary of what’s new.
- Step-by-step guides for using the enrollment portals.
- Open Enrollment overview video.
- Details specific to State Health Plan, NCFlex and UNC System Benefits.
- Contact information for questions and more details.
New for Open Enrollment this year
The biggest change to Open Enrollment this year is the use of two separate portals for electing benefits coverage:
- State Enrollment Portal: For selecting coverage for health insurance, accident, dental, vision, Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs), and TRICARE supplement and for completing the tobacco attestation.
- UNC System Enrollment Portal: For selecting coverage for accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D), cancer, critical Illness, and life insurance.
There is now a two-portal system because the UNC System Office is taking over several plans that were previously under NCFlex. With this migration:
- Life insurance plans will be merged into one policy, which will allow for reduced rates and enhanced benefits.
- Any NCFlex Life Insurance and/or Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D) coverage you may already have will be automatically pulled into the new consolidated UNC plan for 2023.
- You can make any changes you would like to these plans in the UNC System Enrollment Portal.
Coverage updates for 2023
See below for highlighted 2023 updates for various plans. You can find details and more updates on the HR at UNC Open Enrollment website.
State Health Plan
- The names of the 70/30 and 80/20 plans are changing: The 70/30 plan is now called the Base plan, and the 80/20 plan is the Enhanced plan.
- A new Joint Replacement Program for knee, hip, or shoulder replacement surgery is available for eligible employees whose associated surgery costs will be bundled into one copay of $900 for the Base (70/30) plan and $600 for the Enhanced (80/20) plan.
- Health insurance premiums are not increasing.
- Accident plan is changing to a two-option plan with high and low options.
- Dental insurance premiums will have a small increase.
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs) require re-enrollment.
- The maximum annual contribution for the Health Care FSA will increase to $2,850 per employee; the maximum annual contribution for the Dependent Day Care FSA will remain at $5,000 per household.
- You can enroll in the Core Vision Plan at no cost if you are not currently enrolled in vision coverage.
UNC System Benefits
- Every eligible employee will be automatically enrolled in $10,000 of UNC Core Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D) coverage at no cost.
- Evidence of Insurability is not required for enrolling in the cancer and/or the critical illness plans.
How to Enroll
It’s easy to enroll in your UNC-Chapel Hill benefits!
To enroll online
As in previous years, you will complete your enrollment in the ConnectCarolina. This year you will use our new two-portal system to complete your open enrollment. To access the portals:
- Log in to ConnectCarolina.
- Choose Self Service from the drop-down menu at the top.
- Choose the My Benefits tile.
- Choose Benefits Enrollment on the left.
From there you will choose either the State Enrollment Portal or UNC System Enrollment Portal and the follow the prompts to make your benefits selections.
Step-by-step guides for using these portals are available to view and download on the How to Enroll page of Open Enrollment website.
To enroll by phone
You can also complete your Open Enrollment over the phone. To do so, you’ll need to call each support center separately:
- State Enrollment Portal: Call 855-859-0966, Monday–Friday, 8 a.m.–10 p.m., and Saturday, 8 a.m.–5 p.m.
- UNC System Enrollment Portal: Call 833-862-1490, Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-6 p.m.
If enrolling by phone, be prepared for lengthy wait periods, especially toward the beginning and end of the Open Enrollment period. Please also note that if you enroll a new dependent for any plan, dependent document must be uploaded into the online portal.
When you have completed your enrollment, please remember to print a copy or take a picture of your confirmation for your records.
If you have issues with the online enrollment systems and phone centers, reach out to us at email@example.com or call 919-962-3071.
The UNC Benefits & Leave Administration Support Center will be available 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. each Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday Oct. 11–27 in the Administrative Office Building (AOB) to assist with in-person support.
Please be aware that you may have a considerable wait time for in-person assistance.
For questions specific to the State Health Plan, NCFlex or the State Enrollment Portal, please call the Eligibility and Enrollment Support Center at 855-859-0966, Monday–Friday, 8 a.m.–10 p.m., and Saturday, 8 a.m.–5 p.m.
For questions about UNC System Benefits coverage or the UNC System Enrollment Portal, contact the UNC System Benefits Service Center at 833-862-1490, Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-6 p.m.
If you have any other questions about Open Enrollment, please email the Benefits & Leave Administration Support Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 919-962-3071.
We are here for your benefit,
UNC Benefits, Leave Administration & Total WellBeing