Open Enrollment is your once-a-year opportunity to add, delete or make changes to the benefit plans that best fit the needs for you and your family.
This year’s Open Enrollment period runs Monday, Oct. 10 through Friday, Oct. 28, and applies to the North Carolina State Health Plan, NCFlex plans and UNC System benefits. The elections you make during Open Enrollment will go into effect Jan. 1, 2023.
As you make your benefits selections, here are a few thing to keep in mind:
- If you are currently enrolled for health coverage under the State Health Plan, you and your eligible dependents will be automatically enrolled in the 70/30 Plan for 2022.
- If you want to enroll in the 80/20 Plan, you must actively enroll during Open Enrollment.
- If you want to reduce your monthly premium under any of the plans offered by the State Health Plan, you MUST complete your tobacco attestation by Oct. 28, 2022.
- If you fail to take action during Open Enrollment, your monthly premiums will be considerably higher in 2023.
- Tobacco users can complete a free tobacco cessation session no later than Nov. 30, 2022, to avoid the monthly $60 charge.
- If you want a Flexible Spending Account (FSA) for 2023, you must enroll in it during Open Enrollment.
For more information about Open Enrollment and for instructions on how to enroll, visit our updated Open Enrollment website at hr.unc.edu/enroll.
Remember: Open Enrollment is your only opportunity to enroll or make changes (including updating dependents) to your benefits unless you experience a qualifying life event such as death, birth, marriage, divorce, etc., outside of the enrollment period.
Be sure to take action by Friday, Oct. 28, to ensure you have the benefits coverage you want and need.
Open Enrollment information applies only to UNC-Chapel Hill benefits-eligible permanent employees (permanent full- and part-time SHRA, EHRA Non-Faculty and Faculty working a minimum of 20 hours a week). For more information about benefits eligibility, please visit hr.unc.edu/benefits/eligibility.