Section 35.24 of the Current Operations Appropriations Act of 2017 sets forth new requirements for the University to report to and consult with the Board of Governors (BOG) regarding certain human resources salary and position actions.
Effective July 1, 2017, the new requirements require reporting and consultation with the BOG for:
- Any salary adjustment where the employee’s June 30 or current total proposed compensation (including supplements or other temporary compensation) is $100,000 or greater and the proposed salary increase is five percent or greater
- Creation of new SHRA and EHRA NF permanent or temporary positions or appointments with an associated salary budget of $70,000 or more
- Salary increases associated with faculty rank promotions that have an effective date of July 1, 2017 are exempt from this requirement.
- In an attempt to honor decisions and actions that were in process prior to the above noted July 1, 2017 effective date, any salary or position action that had received final approval as of July 5 is notsubject to the new process.
- The SHRA legislative increase will not count toward the five percent increase calculation because the SHRA legislative increase is an across the board increase. However, please note: because the EHRA annual raise process is not an across-the-board increase, it will be subject to this process.
Under the new requirements, affected actions will be submitted as they are received to General Administration HR. GA HR will report all actions to the BOG Chair and the Chair of the Board’s Personnel and Tenure Committee on the first and fifteenth of each month, for their review within five days. After this period, institutions will be notified if the action can proceed or if additional review is required.
Note: The vast majority of the campus process will remain the same as it currently stands. In certain circumstances, additional information – such as budgeted salary for new SHRA and EHRA positions or faculty/post-doc/etc. appointments that are not position-based – will be required. For SHRA and EHRA Non-Faculty positions, the budgeted salary amount should be included in the Allocated Budget Amount or the Comments section of the ePar when the initiating the new position action in ConnectCarolina.
Please see the following memo for additional information:
Memo on 2017 Legislative Rules