Planning for your retirement is an important, career-long endeavor with serious personal, health, and financial implications. The creation of this guide was motivated by more than 30 UNC faculty retirees who wanted to facilitate a smoother process for still-active faculty by raising awareness of hurdles they faced planning their own retirement.
This guide includes their key advice and provides you with information to consider at successive career stages:
- Information to guide your mandatory initial choice of UNC retirement program.
- Recommended practices and habits to develop early, which become more important as you
- Supplemental investment advisory programs to consider throughout your career.
- Steps for executing a smooth transition from active employment to retirement.
- Post-retirement tasks to continue supportive University relationships.
The Faculty Retirement Guide was prepared by the Retired Faculty Association at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in collaboration with the Provost’s Office and the Office of Human Resources.
For questions about retirement, please contact the UNC-Chapel Hill OHR Benefits & Leave Support Center at 919-962-3071 or email email@example.com.