On Wednesday, March 14, over 600 UNC-Chapel Hill faculty and staff gathered at the Rams Head Recreation Center for the 2018 Total WellBeing Wellness Expo. Hosted by the Office of Human Resources, the Expo brought together its largest-ever group of almost 100 exhibitors, who provided UNC employees with information and resources on how to stay healthy, happy and safe from head to heel.
Exhibitors included on-campus partners, such as UNC Transportation and Parking, UNC-Chapel Hill Police, and Campus Dining Services. Chef Peter Siegfried from Campus Dining Services engaged almost 200 employees in a cooking demo, showing attendees how to prepare Baked Chicken Pita. [Get the recipe here!]
In addition to the cooking demonstrations, the Expo gave employees the opportunity to get up and move. Nearly 100 employees took part in fitness demos – which included Muscle-Cut and Tai Chi provided by UNC Campus Recreation – and took laps around the upstairs walking track. The Expo also allowed employees time to try out other local fitness opportunities, such as those provided by M.E. Henderson, Inc. Urban Line Dancing of Durham and Title Boxing Club in Chapel Hill.
Another important feature of the Expo was an all-around health check for employees, sponsored by the NC State Health Plan. Over 75 faculty and staff received a free health check. In just 15 minutes, employees left with information regarding their biometric numbers, which included cholesterol, blood glucose/A1c, blood pressure, body mass index, and waist circumference, and a better understanding of their health risks. Nearly eighty percent of chronic conditions can be prevented, delayed, or alleviated with lifestyle changes, so knowing your numbers can often be the first step to taking action.
“The Total WellBeing Expo was a success and enjoyed by all who attended,” said Jessica Pyjas, work/life and wellness program manager. “It is the one time of year that employees have the opportunity to come together and learn about the many campus and community resources available to help them maintain and improve their Total WellBeing.”
Action pays off. For each healthy activity that participants took part in, they received the opportunity to win prizes. At the end of the Expo, 10 winners received prizes such as Fitbits, wireless earbuds, a North Carolina Football Club autographed jersey, and more.
Congratulations to the winners of the 2018 Total WellBeing prizes:
- Amanda Mills, International Student & Scholar Services—Fitbit HR Fitness Wristband
- Judy Owen, Frank Porter Graham Child Development Institute—Fitbit HR Fitness Wristband
- Rhonda Leary, ITS—Fitbit HR Fitness Wristband
- Allison Hilbert, Carolina Population Center—Medline Automatic Digital Blood Pressure Cuff
- James Balfour, Finance & Operations IT—ComPsych Gym Bag, aluminum water bottle and more!
- Jana Collins, UNC General Alumni Association—Healthcare Book, Gut Balance Revolution
- Kathleen Nevins, Chemistry Dept.—Signed North Carolina Football Club 2018 Jersey
- Katie Musgrove, Eshelman School of Pharmacy—ComPsych Thermal Lunch Bag with Salad Jar
- Monica Yelverton, School of Government—Plugz Wireless Earbuds
- Steven Gunn, Dept. of Emergency Medicine—4 tickets to the North Carolina Football Club Home Opener Game