Each new year, we may prioritize our health needs differently. As we begin 2021, let’s place a greater focus on mindfulness and overall mental health. Whatever your health goals for this year may be, please remember to prioritize your needs, your happiness, and your overall wellbeing. As a UNC-Chapel Hill employee, you have a variety of resources available to help you be healthy and happy in 2021.
Mindfulness & Self-Compassion Meditation Sessions
The School of Medicine continues to prioritize presence and self-compassion in the New Year. All employees may take advantage of these opportunities to dedicate time to self-nurture. Mindfulness and self-compassion meditations assist with stress reduction, mental flexibility and even resilience. Sessions are offered three times each week (defer to specific times below) and are approximately 20-25 minutes in length.
- Mondays at 12:15 p.m. led by Jonny Gerkin (Sign up)
- Tuesdays at 4 p.m. led by Bree Kalb (Sign up)
- Thursdays at 4 p.m. led by Bree Kalb (Sign up)
Mindful Mondays with Mindful UNC
Mindful UNC is a community of practice that invites UNC affiliates to engage in contemplative practices through community learning gatherings and unique events. You are invited to participate in free monthly mindfulness sessions the first Monday of each month, starting February 1, 2021 at 8:00 a.m. Sessions vary among mindfulness, deep listening, meditation and stretching practice and are approximately 20 minutes.
Wellness Wednesdays Webinars
Your Total WellBeing team collaborates with GuidanceResources to offer wellness webinars lead by experts each month. Sessions are 45-60 minutes. Upcoming sessions are listed below.
- January 20—Mindfulness: In Your Work and Life | 12 p.m.
Mindfulness is about waking up to the present moment and paying attention to your experience. Learning mindfulness is not difficult; however, it is difficult to remember to do it. This training discusses mindfulness and how to incorporate its practice into your life.
- January 27—Reduce Stress with Humor | 12 p.m.
Professional comedians shouldn’t be the only people to use smiling, laughter, humor and play as part of their daily routine. These skills are valuable for everyone. Humor and play can be the building blocks of problem solving and improve your happiness and effectiveness. Learn how to use humor and play to improve mood and creativity, improve healthy, reduce stress, and build relationships.
Find full descriptions and registration information in Carolina Talent.
Access Carolina Talent:
- Visit connectcarolina.unc.edu
- Log in with your UNC ONYEN and password
- Select Self Service from the drop-down at the top of the screen
- Click on the “My Learning” tile to open Carolina Talent
Mindfulness & Self-Compassion for Families
The Frank Porter Graham Program on Mindfulness & Self-Compassion for Families is a suite of programs related to self-compassion in families and schools. Their mission is to bring specialized self-compassion training to teens, pre-teens, children, parents, educators, and all adults who traverse the lives of youth, with the ultimate goal of creating a community imbued with greater compassion for ourselves and others.
Self-compassion has been linked with better mental health – less depression, anxiety, and stress. Upcoming programs are listed below and vary in length and costs.
- Mindful Self-Compassion | Jan. 25-March 15, Mondays 5-8 p.m. (including 2 breaks)
- Making Friends with Yourself: A Mindful Self-Compassion Program for Teens | Feb. 2-25, Tuesdays & Thursdays 4:30-6 p.m. (Teen only, ages 14-18)
- Parent-Child Self-Compassion | Feb. 11-March 18, Thursdays 5-6 p.m. (For children ages 7-10 with a parent or adult caregiver)
- Enjoy free 10 minute or less audio recordings for making friends with yourself.
- Learn more at selfcompassion.unc.edu.
GuidanceResources®: Your 24/7 Employee Assistance Program
Trained counselors are available 24 hours a days, seven days a week through the University’s Employee Assistance Program offered by GuidanceResources®.
Anytime, Anywhere: No cost, confidential solutions to life’s challenges.
- Confidential Emotional Support for anxiety, depression, stress, grief/loss, conflict, and more. (Three free sessions, per issue, per year)
- Work-Life Solutions to cut down your to-do list. Help finding elder care, moving, hiring contractors, and more.
- Legal Guidance for those going through a divorce, adoption, family law support, etc. Free 30-minute consultation available and 25% reduction in fees.
- Financial Resource experts can assist with tax questions, mortgages, budgeting, bankruptcy, and more.
- Online Support and tools include articles, podcasts, videos, and “ask the expert” personal responses to your questions.
You and family members living in your home may call GuidanceResources anytime toll-free at 877-314-5841 or visit guidanceresources.com.
- First time users can create a free account using Web ID: TARHEELS
- On the go? Download the “GuidanceResources Now” app with web ID: TARHEELS
- Learn more: GuidanceResources flyer
Free On-Demand Fitness Classes
Join Campus Recreation on-demand and stay active anytime and anywhere. Take a break and enjoy a quick 15-30 minute pre-recorded class now available on YouTube. Classes include:
- Core & Strength
- Cardio & HIIT
- Yoga & Restore
- Barre & Pilates
- Seated & Accessible Workouts
New classes are added weekly! Click here to access classes.
Group Fitness Semester Pass
Employees can now enjoy an unlimited number of group fitness classes held Monday through Friday, both in-person or live virtual group classes for the low cost of $30 per semester. Classes include Yoga, Barre, Step, Zumba, Lift and Pilates, and more! The class schedule will be updated regularly, check for weekly class offerings.
Contact Lindsay Brookey at email@example.com to get your semester pass today!
Campus Recreation Trial Membership
Campus Recreation offers a free one-week trial membership to permanent employees of the University and UNC Hospitals. Give it a try! Submit a trial membership request form if interested.
- Learn more: Trial Membership Request Form (Trial memberships not available to family members of employees.)
- Full membership $12.50 a month when paid through payroll deduction. Learn more about Campus Rec. membership options.
Free Gentle Yoga with Gilling Culture of Health
Take time to relax and rejuvenate. Employees can enjoy a free virtual gentle yoga sessions two times a week, starting January 11.
- Mondays, 12-12:30 p.m.
- Wednesdays, 12-12:30 p.m.
Equipment needed: yoga mat and comfortable clothing | Optional equipment: a firm blanket, yoga strap and open wall space or sturdy chair
Eat Smart, Move More, Weigh Less Online (ESMMWL)
Eat Smart, Move More, Weigh Less is an online weight management program that uses strategies proven to work for weight loss and maintenance. Each lesson informs, empowers and motivates participants to live mindfully as they make choices about eating and physical activity. Eat Smart, Move More, Weigh Less is delivered in an interactive real-time format with a live instructor. The program is offered to those interested in eating smart, moving more, and achieving a healthy weight.
The next series starts the week of Feb. 8. Each series is 15-weeks. Act fast, series fill up fast! The January classes filled up within the first week. Enroll Here!
Use coupon/voucher code: GNC2021 to participate at no cost.*
*Each weekly session is covered at 100% as a telehealth group nutritional counseling visit. You will be asked to enter your BCBSNC, State Health Plan, subscriber ID#. Your primary insurance provider must be BCBSNC.
Eat Smart Move More Weigh Less 2 Online (ESMMWL2)
Are you looking to maintain or continue to work toward your goal weight? Eat Smart, Move More, Weigh Less 2 builds on strategies covered during Eat Smart, Move More, Weigh Less. Participants who successfully completed Eat Smart, Move More Weigh Less since 2011 are invited to register for this 12-week online program.* Eat Smart, Move More, Weigh Less 2 consists of 12 classes that meet every week online with a live Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN) instructor.
The next series begins the week of January 25. Act fast, series fill up fast!
Use coupon/voucher code: GNC22021 to participate at no cost. **
*Successfully completed is defined as attending at least 10 of the 15 ESMMWL classes since 2011.
** Each weekly session is covered at 100% as a telehealth group nutritional counseling visit. You will be asked to enter your BCBSNC, State Health Plan, subscriber ID#. Your primary insurance provider must be BCBSNC.
Dietitian Visits: Meet with an expert at no cost to you!
For more a personalized nutrition plan, State Health Plan members ages 6 and older can enjoy nutrition and weight management benefits.
80/20 & 70/30 Plan Members: In-network dietitian visits delivered in an office, urgent care, outpatient facility, or virtually as a telehealth nutritional counseling visit are covered 100%. Services include the following:
- Nutritional Counseling
- Obesity Screening
- Behavioral Intervention
For more information, visit the Health & Wellness tab at shpnc.org.
Be sure to check out the many discounts to off-campus health & wellness resources available to you!
- Blue365 offers discounts to Jenny Craig, Nutrisystem, Fitbits, in-person and virtual person training sessins and more. Visit blue365deals.com/BCBSNC. Sign up to start saving using the first three characters of your State Health Plan ID#.
- PerksConnect offers discounts to Active&Fit, Home Chef, AIG life insurance, and more. Visit unc.perksconnection.com. Activate your account with group code: GOHEELS
- WorkingAdvantage offers savings on health, fitness and meal plans to help start you New Year! As a university employee, you can save on virtual trainers, exercise programs, workout gear for home, delicious and healthy meal delivery services like Blue Apron, Hello Fresh, Sun Basket and much more! Register for your free account with Working Advantage at workingadvantage.com, using Company Code: 653475624 to obtain discounts.