Taking care of your teeth means more than a beautiful smile. Research shows that good dental habits reduce the risk of heart disease, diabetes and other health conditions.
Dental coverage is available through the State’s program NCFlex. The vendor for this program is MetLife Dental. Regular (non-temporary) SHRA/EHRA and Faculty employees working at least 20 hours per week (.5 FTE) may choose between high, classic and low option plans. Coverage is also available for legally married spouses, domestic partners and eligible dependent children.
How Much Does it Cost?
- If you are paid one time per month, the full monthly rate is deducted from your pay check.
- If you are paid every two weeks, one half of the monthly rate is deducted from the first two paychecks in the month.
- If there is a third bi-weekly paycheck in the month, the premium is not deducted.
Dental plan premiums are deducted from your paycheck on a pre-tax basis in the same month coverage is effective. This means your premiums are taken from gross pay before Social Security and federal and state taxes are deducted, which reduces your taxable income.
When Does Coverage Begin/End?
The plan year is January through December. Your plan election is “locked in” for the entire calendar year and does not require re-enrollment during open enrollment. Your elected plan continues from year to year unless you decide to make changes.
If you are a new-hire
Benefits begin on the first day of the month following your start date. You have 30 calendar days starting from your start date to enroll, and coverage begins on the first day of the month following your start date.
If you experience a qualifying life event
If you become eligible for coverage due to a qualifying life event during the year, you may add or drop dependents, but you may not change the plan level (high option, low option). Benefits begin on the first day of the month following your event date. You have 30 calendar days starting from your event date to enroll, and coverage begins on the first day of the month following your event date.
You may change your plan level and drop/add dependents during open enrollment, and the changes become effective on January 1.
If you lose eligibility for coverage, terminate employment or retire
Your coverage will end on the last day of the month in which the event date occurs.
How to Enroll or Make Changes
Dental plan enrollment and changes are made through ConnectCarolina Self Service.
To enroll a domestic partner for dental insurance:
- Log in to ConnectCarolina Self Service.
- Click the My Benefits tile.
- Click Benefits Enrollment from the left sidebar.
- Click State Enrollment System.
- Email the Domestic Partner Dental Enrollment form to email@example.com.
For more information
Those enrolled in the MetLife Dental Plan can log in to the MetLife Dental portal for additional information.
- Go to mybenefits.metlife.com.
- Type in NC Flex in the “Employer or Association” field of the Access MyBenefits box on the MetLife Benefits login page.
- This will take you to the login page. If you have not registered on this page, you will need to register first; then you will be able to log in and view your plan information.