Work/Life & Wellness Programs
As part of our ongoing commitment to the health and wellness of employees, the University offers a variety of programs focused on healthy lifestyles and balancing the responsibilities of work and personal life.
“It is not enough to say that all voices are welcomed here, but rather, we must acknowledge that our success depends on the active contributions and expressions of a full and diverse community from all backgrounds and walks of life. We recognize that to fully contribute, you all must feel safe—both on campus and off.”
– Becci Menghini, Ed.D., Vice Chancellor, Human Resources and Equal Opportunity and Compliance
Understanding the problem
- Police killings and their spillover effects on the mental health of black Americans
- Death by a thousand cuts: The health implications of black respectability politics
Understanding the impact
- Pandemic and killings, the mental health of black people is floundering
- View of maintaining professionalism during unjust death
How you can help
- How to Talk About What’s Going On with your Team
- How to Offer Support as a Manager
- How to Use Team Time
- What to do at the Leadership Level
- Unconscious Bias (24 minutes)
- Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging (47 minutes)
- Confronting Bias: Thriving Across Our Differences (40 minutes)
- Skills for Inclusive Conversations (53 minutes)
- Communicating about Culturally Sensitive Issues (55 minutes)
- Communicating Across Cultures (33 minutes)
- Bystander Training: From Bystander to Upstander (41 minutes)
Resources to educate children:
- Talking to Kids About Race and Racism (46 minutes)
- TED Talk: Is My Skin Brown Because I Drank Chocolate Milk? (13 minutes)
- Social Justice Books
Where to go for support
- The University Ombuds Office: A confidential, informal, impartial, and independent place to discuss concerns, no matter how large or small. Call 919-849-8204 or email email@example.com to schedule a phone or video conference appointment.
- GuidanceResources (Employees Assistance Program): As a UNC employee, you can receive three free counseling sessions per issue, per year, in-person or over the phone.
Call 877-314-5841 (TTY: 800-697-0353) or browse the many helpful tools online at guidanceresources.com. Use Web ID: TARHEELS to sign up. Not by a computer? Download the free GuidanceNowSM app to access these great resources from the palm your hand.
- File a formal complaint with the Equal Opportunity and Compliance Office at eoc.unc.edu or call 919-966-3576.
Eat Smart, Move More, Weigh Less Online (ESMMWL)
Eat Smart, Move More, Weigh Less is an online weight management program that uses strategies proven to work for weight loss and maintenance. Each lesson informs, empowers and motivates participants to live mindfully as they make choices about eating and physical activity. Eat Smart, Move More, Weigh Less is delivered in an interactive real-time format with a live instructor. The program is offered to those interested in eating smart, moving more, and achieving a healthy weight.
Each series is 15-weeks. Act fast, series fill up fast!
Use coupon/voucher code: GNC2023 to participate at no cost.*
*Each weekly session is covered at 100% as a telehealth group nutritional counseling visit. You will be asked to enter your BCBSNC, State Health Plan, subscriber ID#. Your primary insurance provider must be BCBSNC.Enroll here! Nutrition Decisions Newsletter
Eat Smart Move More Weigh Less 2 Online (ESMMWL2)
Are you looking to maintain or continue to work toward your goal weight? Eat Smart, Move More, Weigh Less 2 builds on strategies covered during Eat Smart, Move More, Weigh Less. Participants who successfully completed Eat Smart, Move More Weigh Less since 2011 are invited to register for this 12-week online program.* Eat Smart, Move More, Weigh Less 2 consists of 12 classes that meet every week online with a live Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN) instructor.
Act fast, series fill up fast!
Use coupon/voucher code: GNC22022 to participate at no cost. **
*Successfully completed is defined as attending at least 10 of the 15 ESMMWL classes since 2011.
** Each weekly session is covered at 100% as a telehealth group nutritional counseling visit. You will be asked to enter your BCBSNC, State Health Plan, subscriber ID#. Your primary insurance provider must be BCBSNC.Enroll here!
Part-time elder care can also be obtained through the Helping Heels program.Learn more about Elder Care Programs
Free On-Demand Fitness Classes
Join Campus Recreation on-demand and stay active anytime and anywhere. Take a break and enjoy a quick 15-30 minute pre-recorded class now available on YouTube. Classes include:
New classes are added weekly!View classes
Group Fitness Semester Pass
Employees can now enjoy an unlimited number of group fitness classes held Monday through Friday for the low cost of $40 per semester (prorated 1/2 way through the semester). Classes include Yoga, Barre, Dance, Strength, Core, Pilates, and more! The class schedule is updated regularly.
Contact Becky Eacho at firstname.lastname@example.org to get your semester pass today!View classes
Campus Recreation Employee Membership
For the low cost of $12.50 a month, UNC employees can enjoy access to Campus Recreation facilities (Fetzer Hall, Woollen Gym, Rams Head Rec Center, Bowman Gray Indoor Pool, Kessing Outdoor Pool)Learn more
Fun Runs: Spring Fling & Jingle Bell Jog
Campus Rec hosts two annual employee-only fun runs, Spring Fling and Jingle Bell Jog. Held on the first Friday in May and December, these social events attract hundreds of employees to get out and be active in a 2.7-mile fun run or 1.5-mile walk. The event promotes physical activity, health and well-being and provides employees with the opportunity to give back to their local community. Costumes encouraged, but not required.Learn more
Free Gentle Yoga with Gillings Culture of Health
Take time to relax and rejuvenate. Employees can enjoy a free virtual gentle yoga sessions two times a week.
- Mondays, 12-12:30 p.m.
- Wednesdays, 5:15-6 p.m.
Equipment needed: yoga mat and comfortable clothing
Optional equipment: a firm blanket, yoga strap, open wall space or sturdy chairRegister here Learn more
Challenges run for eight weeks and are held twice a year, beginning in August/September and then in March. Teams of up to 10 people compete in one of four activity categories: Tortoise, Hare, Super Hare and Bionic Hare for a chance to be recognized as one of the top three performing teams in each category across the state.Learn more about Miles for Wellness
Mindfulness & Self-Compassion Meditation Sessions
All employees may take advantage of mindfulness meditation sessions provided by the School of Medicine and use these opportunities as dedicate time to self-nurture. Mindfulness and self-compassion meditations assist with stress reduction, mental flexibility and even resilience. Sessions are offered weekly and are approximately 30 minutes.
- Mondays at 12:15 p.m. led by Jonny Gerkin (Sign up)
Inhaling Positivity Mid-Day Meditation
Bring balance to your day with free 15-minute mid-day micro meditation every Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 12:30 p.m. and Thursdays at 4:45 p.m. These meditation techniques led by UNC’s Meenu Tewari will help you relax, rejuvenate, recharge, and reduce stress. Participate on your computer or mobile app.
Mindful Mondays with Mindful UNC
Mindful UNC is a community of practice that invites UNC affiliates to engage in contemplative practices through community learning gatherings and unique events. You are invited to participate in free monthly mindfulness sessions the first Monday of each month at 8:30 a.m. Sessions vary among mindfulness, deep listening, meditation and stretching practice and are approximately 15-20 minutes.Register Here Learn More
The Department of Work/Life & Wellness, within the Office of Human Resources, is committed to enhancing opportunities for employees to achieve Total WellBeing for their head, heart, and heels. The Wellness Champions program was designed to provide resources, tools and trainings to employees to succeed at creating a greater culture of health throughout Carolina.Learn more about Wellness Champions
Your Total WellBeing team collaborates with GuidanceResources to offer wellness webinars led by experts each month. Sessions are 45-60 minutes. Upcoming sessions are listed below. Click on the session title for details.
Wednesdays starting at noon
- July 12: Strategies for Improving Your Finances
- July 19: Mental Fitness for Optimal Brain Power
- July 26: Using Kindness to Achieve Personal Success and Happiness
- Aug. 02: Awaking the Passion in Your Work and Life
- Aug. 09: Paying Off Debt While Building Wealth
- Aug. 16: Relaxation “Micro-Moments” and Winding Down Techniques
- Aug. 23: Loving You: Boosting Self-Esteem and Acceptance
- Sep. 06: Balancing Work and Life
- Sep. 13: Basics of Estate Planning
- Sep. 20: Emotional Eating: The Connection Between Mood and Food
- Sep. 27: Breathing Techniques to Relieve Stress and Improve Health
- Oct. 04: Deskercise! Taking Care of Your Body During the Workday
- Oct. 18: Digital Mindfulness: Taking Control of Device and Screen Time
- Oct. 25: Overcoming Distorted Negative Thinking
- Nov. 01: Gratitude: A Skill for Happier Living
- Nov. 15: Managing Personal Finances
- Nov. 29: Combating Imposter Syndrome
- Dec. 13: Financial Planning for Life
- Emotional Intelligence (55 mins.)
- Managing Staff Through Stressful Situations (50 mins.)
- Unconscious Bias (49 mins.)
Note: Registering for wellness webinars in Carolina Talent will not result in your supervisor being notified. However, completion of any course on or after October 28, 2020 will appear in your personal development transcript viewable by your first and second level supervisors. If you have any concerns, please contact email@example.com.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Additional University centers and offices that engage in advocacy for change in University policy and help to promote and strengthen campus and community partnerships: