Below are links to policies and forms that are often used by supervisors at UNC-Chapel Hill.
- Background Check Policy
- Conditions of Employment – Regular Employees (11/1/2023)
- Direct Payroll Deposit Authorization Form
- EHRA Non-Faculty Contingent Offer Letter (7/15/2020)
- Equal Opportunity Employment Data Forms
- Federal Form W-4 Tax Withholding
- North Carolina NC-4 Tax Withholding
- Supervisor Orientation Checklist for New Permanent EHRA Non-Faculty Employees
This is a comparison chart to outline the difference between furloughs and a reduction in force, including policy information and applicable resources.
The Office of Human Resources offers many opportunities for supervisors and managers to learn new skills and to develop existing skills. New supervisors are encouraged to start with the required trainings and follow up with the suggested courses. For more experienced supervisors and managers, there are many courses focusing on areas such as interpersonal competencies, organization development, and performance management.
Below are templates for commonly-used SHRA job titles which managers may use as a framework for building their own descriptions. This material is not intended to represent a completed position description; it is meant as a job aid to provide a foundation for writing a detailed individual description.
- Accounting Technician
- Executive Assistant
- HR Consultant
- HR Lead
- HR Officer
- HR Specialist
- IT Analyst/Programmer
- IT Architect/Engineer
- IT Auditor
- IT Business Intelligence & Data Analyst
- IT Business Systems Analyst
- IT Client Support Manager
- IT Database Administrator
- IT Director
- IT Instructional/Classroom Support Professional
- IT Manager
- IT Network Administrator
- IT Project Manager
- IT Security Professional
- IT System Administrator
- IT Web Designer/Developer
- Lab Manager
- Public Communication Specialist
- Research Associate EHRA
- Research Investigator-Scientist-Scholar EHRA
- Research Project-Program Manager-Coordinator
- Research Specialist
- Research Technician
- Social/Clinical Research Assistant
- Social/Clinical Research Specialist
- Student Services Specialist
- Technology Support Technician
- Non-Faculty Salary Adjustment/Supplement Form (aka “Rainbow Form” | 11/23/2022)
If you have issues with rainbow form performance, check with your local IT support first to make sure you have proper permissions for macros. If you still need assistance, please email email@example.com.
- Faculty Salary Increase Form
Administrative note: Please use account code 514940 when entering bonus payment actions.
It is the University’s goal to achieve and sustain a reduction in layers of supervisory management. This goal originates from the recommendations of the Bain Report and carried forward to the University’s CarolinaCounts initiative. Reduced layers of management are expected to enhance University‐wide communication, which can be adversely impacted by excessive layers of supervisory management, as well as improve efficiency and economies of scale with regard to supervisory resources. By increasing the number of employees currently managed by an individual supervisor, a reduction of managerial layers and an increase in spans of control within each Department and School/Division can be realized.