Skip to main content

Please note: These policies are subject to UNC System policy modifications. Visit the UNC Policy Manual and Code page of the UNC System website to learn more.



SHRA Employees

Revised University System Grievance Policy: Effective April 1, 2023

These guidelines address each grievable category and provide employees with sufficient information for their grievance filings.


EHRA Non-Faculty Employees

The University allows EHRA non-faculty permanent employees to grieve lack of cause for dismissal, violation of first amendment rights, violation of policy that has affected the employee’s employment status, lack of notice for end of appointment, and prohibited harassment and discrimination.

EHRA Non-Faculty Grievance Policy
  • Complainants have 30 calendar days from the aggrieved incident to file the complaint.
  • Step 1 in the process is a review and written response from the employee’s work unit (generally, 2nd or 3rd level supervisor of employee).
  • If the Complainant appeals the response, Step 2 of the process is a hearing to a panel of three volunteer EHRA non-faculty employees.
  • The panel writes a report and recommendation to the Chancellor, who makes the final decision for the University.
  • Appeals of the Chancellor’s decision are sent to the Board of Trustees for review and decision. No additional appeal materials or presentation from the grievant or management is made to the BOT; the Board bases its decision on the materials already provided during the process.

Complainants are allowed to have a support person (a fellow University employee) to assist them. The grievant cannot be represented by an attorney during the internal process with the exception of cases of discharge for cause, in which the grievant can retain and be represented by counsel at their own expense. In such cases, University Counsel will represent management.


Harassment/Discrimination Complaints

Any employee or student who believes that s/he has experienced prohibited harassment or discrimination at the University may file an administrative complaint with the Equal Opportunity & Compliance (EOC) Office on campus. The EOC staff will work with the employee’s management to investigate the complaint and issue a formal report.