Child Care Programs
Child Care Resource & Referral Service
Child Care Services Association (CCSA) administers the UNC Childcare Resource & Referral program. UNC contracts with the CCSA, a non-profit child care resource and referral agency, to help UNC employees and students access affordable high-quality child care for their children. This service is provided free of charge to UNC affiliates. For more information about finding or funding childcare, including locating workshop offerings, visit www.childcareservices.org and click on the “Finding Childcare” tab. You may also e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 919-403-6950 (or toll free 855-EARLY-ED) to reach a Family Support Counselor and ask for assistance.
Types of Eligible Care
- Full-time child care in a 4- or 5-star licensed family child care home or child care center
- After-school care in a 4- or 5-star licensed program
- Part-time or preschool care in a 4- or 5-star licensed program
- Full or part-time summer care in a 4- or 5-star licensed program
Child care facilities are licensed by the State of North Carolina’s Division of Child Development and Early Education. Though after-school and preschool programs of four hours or less are not required to be regulated (licensed), they may choose to do so as a sign of commitment to quality. To encourage quality, UNC-Chapel Hill will subsidize only 4- or 5-star licensed child care programs.
- Providers must have a policy and practice of prohibiting corporal punishment
- Providers must be willing to sign a contract with CCSA/UNC-Chapel Hill
- Provider admissions policies must be inclusive of all children, regardless of their race, gender, creed, color, or national origin
Other Subsidy Programs
CCSA will assist UNC-Chapel Hill families in finding the appropriate available funding source from a variety of assistance programs (Department of Social Services, Smart Start, etc.). To request information about subsidy options or be placed on the waiting list for assistance through CCSA, please e-mail email@example.com or call 919-403-6950 (or toll free 855-EARLY-ED) to reach a Family Support Counselor.
The employee/student will pay a portion of the child care costs based upon the employee/student’s income. The remaining portion will be paid by CCSA/UNC-Chapel Hill directly to the designated child care provider.
The employee/student must pay his/her respective co-payments to the provider and sign an agreement with CCSA/UNC-Chapel Hill.
The employee/student must immediately notify CCSA of any changes of status, including:
- withdrawal of child from the child care provider
- change of child care provider
- change in employment/academic status or course load
- change in family status or size (divorce, marriage, birth, adoption, etc.)
- change in household income
For more information on program requirements and procedures, contact Child Care Services Association at 919-403-6950 or the Work/Life Manager at 919-962-6008.