Child Care Programs
Child Care Resource & Referral Service
Child Care Services Association (CCSA) administers the UNC Childcare Resource & Referral program. UNC contracts with the CCSA, a non-profit child care resource and referral agency, to help UNC employees and students access affordable high-quality child care for their children. This service is provided free of charge to UNC affiliates.
For more information about finding or funding childcare, including locating workshop offerings, visit childcareservices.org and click on the “Finding Childcare” tab. You may also e-mail email@example.com or call 855-EARLY-ED (855-327-5933) to reach a Family Support Counselor and ask for assistance.
See the following family size and maximum household income requirements:
|Family Size||Maximum Household Income (effective August 2020)
For employees whose gross household income exceeds the guidelines above, the Dependent Day Care Flexible Spending Account (DDCFSA), a pre-tax spending account program, is applicable and can result in substantial savings. To receive information on the DDCFSA, call Benefits Services at 919-962-3071.
- Permanent UNC-Chapel Hill employees (30+ hours/week)
- Students currently enrolled full-time at UNC-Chapel Hill
- Or, some combination of parents or legal guardian being either a student and/or employee
- Assistance is limited to 1 full-time equivalent (FTE) of child care per full-time employee/student
- 1 FTE = 1 full-day child care program
- 1/2 FTE = after-school program or 1/2-day preschool program
- Full-time child care in a 4- or 5-star licensed family child care home or child care center
- After-school care in a 4- or 5-star licensed program
- Part-time or preschool care in a 4- or 5-star licensed program
- Full or part-time summer care in a 4- or 5-star licensed program
Child care facilities are licensed by the State of North Carolina’s Division of Child Development and Early Education. Though after-school and preschool programs of four hours or less are not required to be regulated (licensed), they may choose to do so as a sign of commitment to quality. To encourage quality, UNC-Chapel Hill will subsidize only 4- or 5-star licensed child care programs.
- Providers must have a policy and practice of prohibiting corporal punishment
- Providers must be willing to sign a contract with CCSA/UNC-Chapel Hill
- Provider admissions policies must be inclusive of all children, regardless of their race, gender, creed, color, or national origin
CCSA will assist UNC-Chapel Hill families in finding the appropriate available funding source from a variety of assistance programs (Department of Social Services, Smart Start, etc.). To request information about subsidy options or be placed on the waiting list for assistance through CCSA, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 855-EARLY-ED (855-327-5933) to reach a Family Support Counselor.
The employee/student will pay a portion of the child care costs based upon the employee/student’s income. The remaining portion will be paid by CCSA/UNC-Chapel Hill directly to the designated child care provider.
The employee/student must pay his/her respective co-payments to the provider and sign an agreement with CCSA/UNC-Chapel Hill.
The employee/student must immediately notify CCSA of any changes of status, including:
- withdrawal of child from the child care provider
- change of child care provider
- change in employment/academic status or course load
- change in family status or size (divorce, marriage, birth, adoption, etc.)
- change in household income
For more information on program requirements and procedures, contact Child Care Services Association at 855-EARLY-ED (855-327-5933).
- Dependent Day Care Flexible Spending Account
- New! Juggle App for safer, smarter, and simpler child care. UNC Chapel Hill employees now receive their first booking fee waived. Click here for the code.
- NC Child Care Resources and Referral Hotline: 1-888-600-1685, M-F 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
- Victory Village Day Care Center: 919-929-2662, M-F 7:30 a.m.-6:00 p.m.
- YMCA Scholastic Support Centers
Juggle provides a pool of energetic, educated and experienced sitters and recent grads to provide safer, smarter and simpler child care, and pet care too! Juggle helps make life a little easier with seamless payment and on-demand services for when you’re in a pickle. UNC-Chapel Hill employees now receive their first booking free waived. Click here for the code.
When busy families need a hand, why juggle? Download the app today!Juggle: iOS Juggle: Android
PLEASE NOTE: The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Office of Human Resources (OHR) promotes Juggle as a convenience to University faculty, staff, and students. OHR does not screen the caregivers provided by JUGGLE and makes no representations about their qualifications, conduct, or the services to be provided. OHR cannot recommend one particular party to another, and any employment relationship that results from the JUGGLE site does not involve the University. Users of JUGGLE are responsible for performing any screening or evaluation they desire. Caregivers and users must acknowledge that the University is not responsible for and will be held harmless against any injury, loss, claim, lawsuit, or other damage arising from or related in any way to the use of this care resource.
The Helping Heels list is a directory of individuals affiliated with the university who offer childcare, elder care or pet sitting services.Fall 2020 Helping Heels List (PDF)