Dear HR Officers,
We are emailing this afternoon to let you know that the following communication about the Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) program will be sent to all employees later today or tomorrow morning.
Dear faculty and staff,
If you have student loan debt, you may qualify for debt forgiveness.
We’re reaching out to make sure UNC-Chapel Hill employees are aware of the upcoming deadline of Oct. 31, 2022, to get special flexibility on applications for the federal Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) program, which forgives the remaining balance on federal Direct Loans for certain public service employees after a total of 120 months of qualifying payments.
About the temporary PSLF waiver
The temporary PSLF waiver makes it possible for millions of public service workers to get credit for past periods of repayment that would otherwise not qualify—reducing or potentially eliminating student loan debt.
For example, under the waiver:
- Past periods of repayment will now count whether or not you made a payment, made that payment on time, for the full amount due, or on a qualifying repayment plan.
- Borrowers with a FFEL Program Loan, Perkins Loan, or certain other federal student loans can benefit by consolidating their loans into a Direct Consolidation Loan and receive credit for periods of repayment pre-consolidation.
- You are eligible for forgiveness even if you are not employed by a qualifying employer at the time of application.
The deadline to take advantage of this opportunity is Monday, Oct. 31, 2022!
State government is a qualifying employer, and permanent and/or temporary employment with UNC-Chapel Hill for 30 hours per week or more may apply toward this program. Other types of qualifying public service include work for other types of government, 501(c)(3) organizations, and some nonprofits.
To learn more and see if you qualify, visit studentaid.gov/pslfwaiver. For additional information:
- Use the PSLF Help Tool on the Federal Student Aid website.
- See the Public Service Loan Forgiveness page of the North Carolina Department of Justice website.
- Contact your student loan servicer and let them know that you are interested in PSLF and the waiver. Your loan servicer should be able to assist you.
For UNC-Chapel Hill employees who need a Public Service Loan Forgiveness form completed, please visit the Employment Verification section of the HR at UNC website and follow the instructions under Process for Employees.
It is important to act quickly as consolidation could take one to two months to complete. Please set aside time this week to see if you can benefit — and thank you for serving your community and our state!
Office of Human Resources