Text Size:
Decrease font size
Increase font size

Marital Status Change

A change in marital status (i.e. marriage, divorce or legal separation) allows an employee to make appropriate changes to his or her benefits. An employee may add or remove their spouse from benefits as appropriate. Changes will be effective on the first of the month after the marriage, divorce or legal separation is final.

Things to Consider

Health Insurance & NCFlex Benefit Elections

Employees must complete the change online to add or remove their spouse. The date the Marriage, Divorce, or Legal Separation was finalized must be noted. All changes must be processed using the benefits enrollment system (Log into ConnectCarolina –>Click on Self Service –> Click BENEFITS ENROLLMENT).

Group Term Life and AD&D Insurance

To add or drop coverage for your spouse under the University’s Group Term Life Plan (MetLife) and/or AD&D Plan (Reliance Standard) you will need to complete the appropriate form(s). Please visit the Benefits Forms section of this website and navigate to Insurance Forms. Complete the MetLife and/or Reliance Standard forms and return them to the Benefits Services Department’s Campus Box—CB# 1045.


You may want to review your beneficiaries under your life insurance and retirement programs and make any necessary changes. Please review the Beneficiary Change Guide for instructions.

Name and Address

Please review the Name and Address Guide for instructions.


You may want to review you federal and state tax withholdings and make any necessary adjustments. To make changes to your current tax withholdings complete updated W-4 (federal) and/or NC-4 (State) tax forms and send them to Payroll Services. Please visit the Form Finder section of this website and navigate to Payroll Forms.


If you have any questions about this change, please contact the Benefits Services Department at 919-962-3071. You can also navigate to the Benefits Contact page for additional contact information.