The overall success of the University relies on the individual accomplishments of all faculty and staff. The performance management program provides a mechanism for communicating responsibilities and evaluating achievements. All permanent University staff are evaluated annually on their performance.
SHRA Performance Management
Performance appraisal information is one consideration in making other personnel decisions such as promotions, disciplinary actions, layoff determinations, and salary increases. Therefore, proper application of the performance management system is essential in the effective application of other personnel policies.
- SHRA Performance Appraisals policy and toolkit.
- The annual performance cycle runs from April 1 to March 31.
- The employee’s Performance Plan contains Individual Goals for the employee set by the supervisor and Institutional Goals set by UNC General Administration.
- Performance Plans must be issued within 30 calendar days of the start of the cycle or the employee’s start date.
- Performance expectations and appraisals are recorded on a standardized form, the Annual Performance Appraisal Form.
- Individual Goals and Institutional Goals are rated on the performance appraisal using a three-point scale: Exceeding Expectations, Meeting Expectations, or Not Meeting Expectations.
- The annual overall performance rating for employees is rated using a three-point scale: Exceeding Expectations, Meeting Expectations, or Not Meeting Expectations.
As part of the career banding system for SHRA permanent employees, supervisors must also conduct an annual employee competency assessment (ECA) along with the annual performance appraisal. The ECA is on a separate form that can be downloaded from the Performance Management Forms page.