EHRA Conversion for Information Technology Professionals
Employees in SHRA IT positions exempt from the Federal Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) are being offered the opportunity to change employment status from SHRA to EHRA. FLSA non-exempt employees (those paid hourly and subject to overtime) are not eligible for this change. EHRA IT professional job classifications are part of the EHRA non-faculty instructional, research and information technology (IRIT) category and will be subject to all University policies and procedures applicable to this category of employees.
Working in collaboration with School/Division HR Officers and the Information Technology Executive Council, the Office of Human Resources (OHR) is responsible for implementation of these guidelines. OHR’s responsibilities include oversight of the project and developing a communications plan, holding information and training sessions, and evaluating position descriptions of eligible employees for the appropriate EHRA classification title and salary.
- Of approximately 2,100 UNC System SHRA FLSA-exempt employees, roughly 600 are UNC IT employees who will have the option to convert to EHRA status or to stay SHRA for as long as they remain in their current positions. No employee will be compelled or required to change status.
- Employees who elect to remain SHRA but apply for and accept an EHRA position will convert to EHRA.
- Employees will have three opportunities to convert to EHRA status. There will be one election period each fiscal year for three years beginning FY 2019-2020, and in FY 2020-2021 and FY 2021-2022.
- Each employee will be provided information to aid them in the decision-making process, including information about key differences between SHRA and EHRA policies, benefits and terms and conditions of employment; the EHRA IT professional job classification and associated salary range for the employee’s position; the EHRA annual salary determined for the employee; and conversion FAQs.
- As of December 1, 2018, all newly created or vacated FLSA-exempt SHRA IT positions were posted and filled as EHRA non-faculty.
- There is no automatic salary increase entitlement as a result of an employee electing to convert from SHRA to EHRA non-faculty status as a consequence of this implementation.
We recognize that existing SHRA IT employees may have questions about this statutory change. In February and March, the Office of Human Resources will offer information sessions for managers and employees. Affected employees and managers will receive an email notification when the sessions are open for registration. We have also included the links below to help employees make informed decisions:
Compensation – IT Salary Ranges
Salary ranges for IT positions have been approved by BOT
|Band||Job Family||Level||Min.||Reference Rate||Max.|
- Watch for an email from OHR notifying eligible employees and managers when information sessions are open for registration.
- Register and attend an information session.
- Access the online IT conversion site via ConnectCarolina Self Service and complete the online election affirming voluntary decision to convert to EHRA IRIT or to remain SHRA. The online election tool will be open for March 9 – June 7, 2019. For employees choosing to convert to EHRA employment status, the effective date will be June 8, 2019.
Please email questions regarding this pending EHRA IT position conversion to: firstname.lastname@example.orgIT Conversion Timeline