EHRA Conversion for Auditing, Business, and Finance (ABF) Professionals
Important Update: Notice of Second Election Period
The UNC System Office has granted UNC-Chapel Hill the opportunity to hold a second election period for the ABF Conversion. The ABF salary ranges will be updated in the coming months; the exact date they will be released is to be determined.
After the updated ABF ranges are released to UNC campuses, details about the second election period will be emailed to eligible employees and their direct supervisors.
Employees in SHRA Auditing, Business, and Finance (ABF) Professional job classifications, who are exempt from the Federal Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and whose positions reflect one-third or greater professional accounting duties are being offered the opportunity to change employment status from SHRA to EHRA. FLSA non-exempt employees (those paid hourly and subject to overtime) are not eligible for this change. EHRA Auditing, Business, and Finance Professional job classifications are part of the EHRA Non-Faculty Instructional, Research and Information Technology (IRIT) category and will be subject to all University policies and procedures applicable to this category of employees.
Working in collaboration with School/Division HR Officers, the Office of Human Resources (OHR) is responsible for implementation of these guidelines. OHR’s responsibilities include
- Oversight of the project.
- Developing a communications plan.
- Holding information and training sessions.
- Evaluating position descriptions of eligible employees for the appropriate EHRA classification title and salary.
Of approximately 1,700 UNC Chapel Hill SHRA FLSA-exempt employees, roughly 600 are UNC ABF employees who will have the option to convert to EHRA status or to stay SHRA for as long as they remain in their current positions.
- No employee will be compelled or required to change status.
- Employees who elect to remain SHRA but apply for and accept an EHRA position will convert to EHRA.
- Employees will have an opportunity to convert to EHRA status: a 90-day election period from Jan. 16, 2023 through April 16, 2023.
- The UNC System Office has granted UNC-Chapel Hill the opportunity to hold a second election period for the ABF Conversion. Details about the second election period will be communicated in the coming months.
- There is no automatic salary increase entitlement as a result of an employee electing to convert from SHRA to EHRA Non-Faculty status as a consequence of this implementation.
Each eligible employee will be provided information to aid them in the decision-making process, including information about:
- Key differences between SHRA and EHRA policies.
- Benefits and terms and conditions of employment.
- EHRA ABF professional job classification and associated salary range for the employee’s position.
- EHRA annual salary determined for the employee.
- Conversion FAQs.
As of Sept. 1, 2022, all newly created or vacated FLSA-exempt SHRA ABF positions and positions with one-third or greater professional accounting duties will be posted and filled as EHRA Non-Faculty.
We recognize that existing SHRA ABF employees may have questions about this statutory change. The Office of Human Resources will offer information sessions for managers and employees in the coming months; eligible employees and their managers will receive an email notification about session dates and times. We have also included the links below to help employees make informed decisions:
- FAQs | pdf
- Comparison of SHRA and EHRA policies | pdf
- EHRA ABF Conversion Information Session slide deck | pdf
- EHRA ABF Conversion Information Session recording
- EHRA ABF second election email notice | pdf
Affected SHRA Classifications*
- Accounting Manager
- Audit Manager
- Business Officer
- Business Manager
- University Program Specialist
- University Program Manager
- Finance & Budget Analyst
- Finance & Budget Manager
* Applies to all three career banding levels (contributing, journey and advanced)
New EHRA ABF Classifications
Provides day-to-day operational/program management for the department in areas of operating budgets and staff. Assists with policy development and interpretation, budget management and planning. Reviews and enhances procedures that impact the unit. May supervise administrative or technical staff.
This classification must supervise 4 or more direct reports. Manages a departmental diverse/dynamic business operation. Provides oversight for business components in areas of budget management, financial planning, purchasing, personnel administration and facilities management. Provides leadership and administrative direction in development of processes, procedures and systems that contribute to successful business operations. Supervise professionals within the business operations unit. Formulates business policies, practices, direction and service delivery solutions.
- SHRA career banding class titles.
- new EHRA titles.
- minimum, maximum and reference salary rates for converting ABF positions.
FOR NON-MANAGER Job Codes
FOR MANAGER Job Codes
- Watch for an email from OHR notifying eligible employees and managers about information session dates and times.
- Attend an information session.
- Access the online ABF conversion site via ConnectCarolina Self Service from Jan. 16, 2023 through April 16, 2023, to complete the online election affirming voluntary decision to convert to EHRA IRIT or to remain SHRA.
- For employees choosing to convert to EHRA employment status, the effective date will be May 8, 2023.
For questions regarding the SHRA to EHRA ABF conversion process, please email email@example.com.